• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

What Did You Buy Today?

BogusSVO

I feel bad, the only thing I bought today way was a steel 45* for the glass bead gun because the brass one had wear holes in it..

But last week I bough a BHJ blok-Tru fixture.. so will that count?

dlane

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Got this yesterday, Needed to give my 03 Dodge Ram 3500 6 spd a break from every day driving ,
so I got one of these 34mpg avg.
It's a certified pre owned 2014 Honda Civic with 20,000 mi w/factory warranty,
kinda a chick car but should last a long time, and a lot easier in stop n go traffic
IMG_0947.JPG IMG_0948.JPG

dlane

Active User
Yup big change , but my cummins 5.9 turbo gets good fuel mi at 25 city 30 hwy empty, but here with all the people that don't know how to drive (stop an go) the clutch in truck was pain in the leg

Last edited:

GoceKU

dlane, you've made the right choose, when i was younger i drove 4WD fast as hell car and put up with the race spec clutch low profile tires and 12 MPG 100 octane fuel consumption, but as i grow up i realised that is waste of money and discomfort, so few years ago i parked it and bought me an 4 cylinder diesel luxury car, now i'm getting 60 MPG and diesel fuel is cheaper and more common than race fuel and registration and insurance is half, so you have my approval.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Director
These showed up in my driveway yesterday. A pair of 15HP IR rotary screw air compressors. $100 for the pair. Both said to be mechanically OK, but have brain damage and are in need of a brain transplant. :grin: Apparently the internal VFD and controller are the weak link in these compressors. One of them is only about 2 years old. I'll stuff in a new VFD and design a new bulletproof control system then sell them. I understand that IR wants about $8000 for a new controller, that seems a bit pricy for repairs to a $10K compressor. Wish I had enough power in my shop to run one, but I may try to derate one to 5 - 7 HP and see if that will work.

upload_2017-9-7_11-50-50.png

Dan_S

Active User
I'm chatting with amazon right now to find out why the spiral flute bottoming tap I ordered on Sunday still hasn't shipped yet. I know its a first world problem, but what's the point of paying extra for 2 day shipping when it takes them 3+ days to actually ship the thing..........

woodchucker

I'm chatting with amazon right now to find out why the spiral flute bottoming tap I ordered on Sunday still hasn't shipped yet. I know its a first world problem, but what's the point of paying extra for 2 day shipping when it takes them 3+ days to actually ship the thing..........
Let us know what they say. I had a major problem a couple of months ago, took weeks to ship because the stock was in another warehouse, the one that was to be shipped from was out of stock.. I said WHAT!!!!!

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Been wanting some of these Knipex Pliers Wrenches for a while now but they're expensive. Finally pulled the trigger on them. Thanks to Zoro who had the best price on the set then got 20% off that & free shipping. These things are awesome! Can't believe I waited so long to get 'em. I love Knipex tools!

20170907_162344-800x619.jpg

I've been needing a set of these. Cheap set is fine with me. Currently on sale at Sears for $17.42, not shown online. I know I had no points last week when I bought something else. Somehow I got $15 in surprise points so I ended up only paying $2.29 with tax! :)

20170907_162310-800x587.jpg

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Adding to my Milwaukee M18 line..... Mid Torque 1/2" impact (600ft/lbs max). I had the High Torque impact (1200ft/lbs max) but I don't work in automotive anymore so I no longer need that much power. The High Torque was too bulky & heavy for me, gave it to my lil brother. Also got me a worklight.

20170907_174217-800x563.jpg

Midwest offset LH & RH aviation snips. Currently on sale at Sears for $24 available online, $35 on Amazon.

20170907_174143-800x661.jpg

Zathros

Been wanting some of these Knipex Pliers Wrenches for a while now but they're expensive. Finally pulled the trigger on them. Thanks to Zoro who had the best price on the set then got 20% off that & free shipping. These things are awesome! Can't believe I waited so long to get 'em. I love Knipex tools!

View attachment 241207

I've been needing a set of these. Cheap set is fine with me. Currently on sale at Sears for $17.42, not shown online. I know I had no points last week when I bought something else. Somehow I got $15 in surprise points so I ended up only paying $2.29 with tax! :)

View attachment 241208
Used those knipex and Some other models for 25 years now, can't think of better ones.
I have 4 differend models and also differend lengts, even got one at 5" the smallest.
Plan to buy the other models too in those sizes.
Special nut shaped, the flat ones you have and the same with teeths wich were the first ever to came out.
Indeed Very expensive, but they last more than à liftime.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Used those knipex and Some other models for 25 years now, can't think of better ones.
I have 4 differend models and also differend lengts, even got one at 5" the smallest.
Plan to buy the other models too in those sizes.
Special nut shaped, the flat ones you have and the same with teeths wich were the first ever to came out.
Indeed Very expensive, but they last more than à liftime.

I've got five of the Cobra pliers as well as a couple of other small pliers that I use for electronic work. And their mini bolt cutters have worked great for me too.

When I got the 5" Cobras I thought they were so small that they would be more of a novelty, I was wrong. Now I want a 5" of the plier wrench too!

Knipex have been my favorite brand of pliers ever since I bought my first pair of Cobras off a Matco truck 14 yrs ago when I was a mechanic. :)

GoceKU

I also have a few knipex pliers and couple W.Germany knipex pliers and their quality hasn't changed, the steel they use on all their products is unbelievable good.

Zathros

I also have a few knipex pliers and couple W.Germany knipex pliers and their quality hasn't changed, the steel they use on all their products is unbelievable good.
I can agree without Any doubt. Worked with those pliers more than 3 decades now bought new ones recent years and quality is as stable as you can get.
Even the oldest cobra I have I estimate it is about 25-30 years old and still going strong.

Dan_S

Active User
Let us know what they say. I had a major problem a couple of months ago, took weeks to ship because the stock was in another warehouse, the one that was to be shipped from was out of stock.. I said WHAT!!!!!
So I ended up cancelling my original order, and re-ordering the same tap from the same manufacture, with a different coating. The original one, was apparently incorrectly inventoried and was out of stock. I had to check my self to see that it wasn't going to be back in stock for almost a month. You would think they would have an automated notification of some kind when something is incorrectly inventoried, as i assume most people don't want to wait a month!

Zathros

Bought it last week. And just got it in with mailrun.
IMG_1756.JPG
2 er um wrenches

IMG_1753.JPG IMG_1754.JPG
And My morseconus 2 er32 tool.
Again à happy diy dude just before the weekend starts. Can't get Any better exept for the next shipment of tooling stuff seem to be in the pipeline at the tracking app.

woodchucker

So I ended up cancelling my original order, and re-ordering the same tap from the same manufacture, with a different coating. The original one, was apparently incorrectly inventoried and was out of stock. I had to check my self to see that it wasn't going to be back in stock for almost a month. You would think they would have an automated notification of some kind when something is incorrectly inventoried, as i assume most people don't want to wait a month!
I think its stupid, that they were only shipping from the local dist center, if they didn't have it, why not ship it from the one that had it. They have become too big, and have introduced problems to make them more profitable. So now what made them good, is gone, and they have become more unreliable. If they plan on shipping from the local dist center, why show inventory for all locations, why not just show the local dist center.

woodchucker

I got this last weekend. I think I paid too much, but still got a fair deal.
One of those is a sine bar, there's a starrett 2" micrometer, an indicol quill mount (not shown and doesn't fit my 8520 need to replace the screw so it will).
The sleeve of emory paper is very fine great for polishing. Still haven't unpacked it.. too busy with a new bench I got from my wife's friend. It was in horrible shape but has many shallow drawers. So thinking of stock holding. The bottoms are solid wood.
SDC12000.JPG

Zathros

I think its stupid, that they were only shipping from the local dist center, if they didn't have it, why not ship it from the one that had it. They have become too big, and have introduced problems to make them more profitable. So now what made them good, is gone, and they have become more unreliable. If they plan on shipping from the local dist center, why show inventory for all locations, why not just show the local dist center.
Same issues here, see that often with the large webshops. But recently found out that the manufacturer is also guilty by not inform the suppliers.

NCjeeper

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
I have gage pins up to .750. After watching Tom Lipton use a gage pin as a set up fixture it motivated me to buy the last 3 pin sets I needed. Now I am good up to 1 inch.

kvt

Active User
Amazon strikes again. Ordered a couple of AXA tool holders, good price and 2 day shipping. Well 3 days and still nothing. THen get an email that they canceled the order. Said they could not get them in. But checked their site and now the price has gone up, no longer available on prime but you now pay 6.50 each in shipping, and from the same company.

Ken from ontario

Got this yesterday, Needed to give my 03 Dodge Ram 3500 6 spd a break from every day driving ,
so I got one of these 34mpg avg.
It's a certified pre owned 2014 Honda Civic with 20,000 mi w/factory warranty,
kinda a chick car but should last a long time, and a lot easier in stop n go traffic
View attachment 241197 View attachment 241198
Congratulations, You will love your new Civic.
I'm in the opposite situation , own a 2007 Civic and now I'm thinking I need a 4x4 truck, that poor Civic has been a true workhorse for 10 years, it has carried lumber, drywall, tools machines etc,etc.
I will still keep it no matter what I buy, this is my 3rd civic.

Dan_S

Active User
Amazon strikes again. Ordered a couple of AXA tool holders, good price and 2 day shipping. Well 3 days and still nothing. THen get an email that they canceled the order. Said they could not get them in. But checked their site and now the price has gone up, no longer available on prime but you now pay 6.50 each in shipping, and from the same company.
So you bought them from a marketplace seller? I will only deal with Amazon themselves, i don't trust the marketplace sellers, to many shady ones.

GoceKU

Today i went to the tool market and bought couple of carbide inserts, for the first time i bought second hand carbide, there were many chipped inserts but few new and others with only one used edge, bought 15 pcs cost me 7$ which is less then one from the store, also bought one more medium size heavy duty clamp.
DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0011.JPG

kvt

Active User
i don't trust the marketplace sellers, to many shady ones.
I'm beginning not to trust Amazon for machine tools, Have ordered stuff that is sold by amazon before and it is to the point my wife told me to stop ordering off Amazon. Have received the wrong items, Empty containers, or had them cancel the items on me. But have had better luck with stuff that was sold and provided by 3rd party providers.

BGHansen

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Postman made my day a few days ago, four packages in one day! Got a center scope, D1-5 8" backing plate from CDCOtools.com, an 8" set-tru style 3-jaw chuck from CME tools in Madison Heights, MI, and an SDA laser edge finder off eBay.

Center scope works fine, throw it in a collet on the mill, flood the work with light and move the table to find a center/scribed line. This one has just one line (no cross hair) so I need to turn the scope 90 degrees to pick up a center.

The D1-5 8" backing plate and 8" set-tru style chuck are for my Grizzly G0709 14" x 40" lathe. I always thought the 6" stock chuck looked small, plus with the jaws flipped the max diameter the chuck would handle wasn't much over 6" (ran out of scroll travel sooner that other chucks I have). Installation and my thoughts on the chuck will be in a POTD posting. The backing plate from CDCO was around $60 plus shipping. Chuck from CME tools was just under $220 off eBay (seller niuniucme). As an aside, the chuck is "self-centering", not "self-centring" as the shipping crate describes it . . .

OK, we have all wondered about the SDA laser center/edge finder. Saw a concentric circle model and cross-hair model for $90 delivered for each on eBay; did a impulse buy on the cross-hair model after watching it for a couple of months. So how does it work? Well, it will not become my go to centering or edge finding device. Could be operator error, so your results my vary. I set a piece of paper with a cross-hair on it and rotated the spindle. The instructions indicate if you are seeing a circle, the center finder needs to be adjusted. The process is like truing a 4-jaw chuck, goes pretty quickly. There is a polarizing filter which when rotated dims the light and shrinks the lines/center point (I'd estimate the lines at about 0.005" wide and the center dot around 0.007"). I trued it and turned off the lights at my mill. Used a 3X magnifying visor and dialed the table onto the cross hair and zero'd my DRO. Then moved the table off center and repeated centering 6 times, and got within 0.003" each time. Not bad, but not great. Then removed the center finder and refit it in a collet. Spun the spindle and saw a circle about 0.015". I hadn't touched the adjustment on the laser, so must be inconsistency in my mill/collets/crap in the spindle? I can see a use for it, but I'll stick with a wiggler for now even though I doubt I'm repeatable within 0.003" with a wiggler.

Bruce

20170908_164458.jpg 20170908_164518.jpg 20170908_165258.jpg 20170908_165311.jpg 20170908_165506.jpg 20170908_165927.jpg 20170908_165940.jpg 20170910_143324.jpg

Container Above bottom breadcrumb