• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

What Did You Buy Today?

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

GoceKU

Another day another tools acquired, first thing is this craftsman square, i usually buy better quality precision tools but i don't have half a meter long square and often find myself using rulers to extend my combination square, next i found this electric motor switch, its 3 phase up to 10HP, electric motor starters are more common but they need box and two more switches for a shop made machine i like this style better now i need to find an electric motor and use for it.
DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0015.JPG

Doubleeboy

Active User
Been wanting a surface grinder for a long while. Looked at a few used, a bunch new. Almost pulled trigger on a Grizzly but did not want China made. Between PM, Acer, Kent, Acra and Chevalier I thought Chevalier had the highest precision machine with features I wanted at a price I could live with. So I pulled trigger for a Chevalier SP 618 manual. Local dealer gave me screaming good price with understanding that they would supply no on site help in case of warranty work. So they beat this price considerably. Very nice machine, dialing in half a tenth is very easy, spindle is so quiet you can not tell its on if VFD or RFC is running in shop. I am very happy and out of shop funds for a good while. Chevalier stuff is all made in same factory and has been for years, I looked at a lot of Taiwan built machines, this seemed to be the best of the lot taking into consideration their long history selling SGs. It was a real pleasure to clean off machine, without taking a grinding pass at mounting surface nor the magnetic chuck, surface of chuck was flat all over in relation to spindle within .0001" I was dumfounded thought I would be spending a lot of time grinding it in. Flood coolant was an option and spendy, I went cheap and bought Grizzly's little flood coolant rig for a couple hundred , not great but keeps things wet and cool which is the goal.

info from another seller here http://www.machinetools4sale.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=2060

hman

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
...next i found this electric motor switch, its 3 phase up to 10HP, electric motor starters are more common but they need box and two more switches for a shop made machine i like this style better now i need to find an electric motor and use for it.
View attachment 240666
Is that a center-off forward/reverse switch? The "Ein/Aus" makes me think it might be.

GoceKU

Is that a center-off forward/reverse switch? The "Ein/Aus" makes me think it might be.
No this is only on / off switch with three contactors, i already disassembled it clean the contacts because i was getting resistance at one and assemble it also changed the plug for euro standard one, also got a lead on an old 10 hp electric motor with an broken mounting flange for cheap, i'll go and look at it later today, i have couple of dual rotation switches they are usually marked "1 0 1" meaning only one position is neutral, i'll attached picture.
DSC_0019.JPG

GoceKU

I did just that what i mentioned earlier today, i bought the electric motor its just under 10 Hp and someone painted it yellow, but is a beast extremely heavy all cast iron and no fan its sealed it's made by Rade koncar which is good quality domestic manufacture 1470 Rpm 6.9 Kw i did connected the switch i bought the other day and tested it it runs very smooth and i started thinking of making a big chop saw with a 400 mm stone, as the only thing for cutting i have now is an 4" angle grinder.
DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0001.JPG

mikey

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Been wanting a surface grinder for a long while. Looked at a few used, a bunch new. Almost pulled trigger on a Grizzly but did not want China made. Between PM, Acer, Kent, Acra and Chevalier I thought Chevalier had the highest precision machine with features I wanted at a price I could live with. So I pulled trigger for a Chevalier SP 618 manual. Local dealer gave me screaming good price with understanding that they would supply no on site help in case of warranty work. So they beat this price considerably. Very nice machine, dialing in half a tenth is very easy, spindle is so quiet you can not tell its on if VFD or RFC is running in shop. I am very happy and out of shop funds for a good while. Chevalier stuff is all made in same factory and has been for years, I looked at a lot of Taiwan built machines, this seemed to be the best of the lot taking into consideration their long history selling SGs. It was a real pleasure to clean off machine, without taking a grinding pass at mounting surface nor the magnetic chuck, surface of chuck was flat all over in relation to spindle within .0001" I was dumfounded thought I would be spending a lot of time grinding it in. Flood coolant was an option and spendy, I went cheap and bought Grizzly's little flood coolant rig for a couple hundred , not great but keeps things wet and cool which is the goal.

info from another seller here http://www.machinetools4sale.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=2060
Wow!!! Impressive machine, specs and price! Seriously, congratulations on your new machine.

GoceKU

Can't have enough of Everything. LOL
It's not that bad, and as i'm starting from zero i need a lot of stuff, i haven't einhaired any tools from my father, he is a person who doesn't know the difference between a straight and a phillips screwdriver.

Zathros

It's not that bad, and as i'm starting from zero i need a lot of stuff, i haven't einhaired any tools from my father, he is a person who doesn't know the difference between a straight and a phillips screwdriver.
Well I am at à age I enherit from 2 generations and 2 sides.
Gives me à advantidge.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

GoceKU

Another day another tool. Today i bought some more old iron first was this Threaded faceplate, is probably for a woodturning lathe and it has a screw in cutter in the middle it's 200 mm in diameter and could come in handy, next was this set of reduction gearboxes with what at the time looked like square threads, but definitely not square threads i got them with the thought of electric screw press for small parts, the reduction is 50:1 so should have some power, maybe a future project.
DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0020.JPG DSC_0019.JPG

Zathros

Actually I bought this on line à week ago but package surprise came in late last night.
À quick change tool holder with cut off blade holder, 2 normal ½" holders and à boring bar holder.
À er16 extended bar for deep work.
Me is happy again to replace the default tool holder on My lathe.
[emoji38][emoji16]

Added:
Great tool for à steal of à price. Only $35 new in box. And for that amount of money à Very decent quality also. Not everything from those chinese Sellers is bad quality.
Almost an exact copy from the original only ⅓ the costs of the swiss made stuff from My lathe. Actually I suspect they got Some of their tools from china and Rebrand it for à while now.

Last edited:

GoceKU

I've been too busy to do any work on any of my project, but managed to buy this 500 mm ruler locally in a hardware store, i've been needing a bigger micrometer but i can't seem to fine one in decent condition at a fair price so for the time being this is more precise than a tape measure.
DSC_0004.JPG

francist

Active User
Milling vise for the little Atlas miller. An older one (not real old, but older) yet still nice and tight. Pretty skookum swivel platform on it, but the vise itself sits nice and squat. I like that. Still need to make some T-nuts for it and clean it up a bit, but couldn't resist just sitting it on the table for a picture. Thanks for looking!

-frank

image.jpeg

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 240826
Hmm strange,.... pic same way attached but not visible for even myself?

Haha, wow, I've never seen a tool post come in it's own storage/carry case before. Does that mean you are supoosed to put it away after each use? (Sorry I couldn't resist) :p

Zathros

To be honest me neither, most of the times in wooden boxes.
It was just such à steal I didn't care. And desides that it's the content that interest me.
It is à small one tho just for a 5x10" lathe.

Silverbullet

I came across an auction site that sells tooling and machines . It's called BTM INDUSTRIAL . They had some ball endmills 11 all one size with all the delivery and shipped to me for $43 my bid was $24.00 a very fair price for new endmills.

mksj

Active User
I have been looking for some 1-2" and 2-3" micrometers for several years, bid on a few but always fell a few dollars short of the final price. I recently sent an message to an eBay retailer who sells a lot of Igaging measuring equipment for a price quote on these two Igaging Speedmic's, and they were about the same as a 1-2" mitutoyo. I sprung for the pair. These are the absolute reading type so they always remember their position, there is no thimble or ratchet mechanism, the thumb lever retracts the plunger and sets the tension for the measurement when released. Very quick to do multiple readings, repeatability of measurements was 0.00005". I checked both mic's against the provided 1" and 2" gauge blocks, they both were spot on. These are the previous gen SpeedMic's the latest version uses a bluetooth connection instead of a cable if you need to record the data electronically.

Also picked up a 5/16-6" set of used Yuasa telescoping gauges at a reasonable price, so hopefully I will be set for a long time. I can finally get some accurate ID/OD measurements, my calipers were just not cutting it for some of the close tolerance work I sometime do. Overall, I have been very happy with the Igaging measuring instruments, they seem to be well built, have nice features and are priced about midway between the top end gauges and the generic low end gauges.

Added eBay Seller: shoppinger09
https://www.ebay.com/sch/shoppinger09/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Lists a number of other Igaging items.
20170831_140017.jpg
20170831_140235.jpg
1.jpg

Last edited:

Zathros

Awesome, à must have for me too.

kvt

Active User
went to the local Flea market today, Got 4 brass punches of various sizes. and a couple of older Nicolson files. Though this is the first time I have really seen anything more at the flea market around here there was a Dial indicator, but the crystal was cracked. and it did not seam to work real well. Returned to different spots each time pressed and released. Thus did not get it, also over priced. Also saw a fake Kennedy that was bent etc, but they wanted more than what I would pay for a kennedy.

British Steel

Active User
Didn't buy, rescued on the way to the World's Best Skip:

A couple of small 4-jaws, missing jaws...
Most of two chucks.jpg

A piece of inch and a half plate, 17" diameter,
poss tooling plate for.jpg

To make a tooling plate and save from (any more) dings and gouges:

15 inch rotary table in box.jpg

Not every day you get to rescue a 15" rotary complete with dividing plates...

Dave H. (the other one)

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 241078
:grin: Had to have another one. Been really happy with them
Funny, that's when I purchased mine too, on a 25% off sale day. Surprising I'm really happy with mine too. The index sucks though, I put mine in a Huot index. Makes it feel like a quality set. Haha

roadie33

Active User
You and me both jp,
If I happened to get a bike to ride, I would want a different seat for sure.
Something with air ride and back support. :grin:

[6]
5 [7]