What Did You Buy Today?

A comparison test would be such a useful thing to the community Bruce. Especially against a Rockwell tester!

I do the searches too with the misspelling too. It really makes my dummy anxiety go through roof though. It's bad enough trying to buy stuff with all these silly dealers on CL and EBay. I do still manage good deals but nothing like those indicators or that 199.

Bet that's a real Hartford head . Nice find along with the mill and sg . :encourage:
Not a Hartford. No identifying marks except a discolored area in the paint which may have held a tag at one point and the serial? number 79167 stamped below the vernier. I am assuming an Asian knock-off but it is tight and smooth so probably good enough for my level of (in)experience. It has a 36 position plate, no others were included so I will be looking for/making a 24 and possibly a 20 position plate.

When looking at the mill I was more concerned with the lack of a vice and did not give much consideration to the spacer.

The mill is an Index Super 55 s/n 55-10024. Seems to be in decent shape but is missing the x-axis power feed motor and drive shaft. I am hoping that the increased rigidity will offset the limited y-travel and the lack of a ram. I have downloaded the manual from Wells-Index.

The grinder is a DoAll MTA-6. I found a parts list on vintage machinery but no manual yet. My sum total knowledge of surface grinders comes from watching a few Youtube videos so I am looking forward to learning and gaining some real experience.

Both machines are 3-phase so I now have an internal debate between 2xVFD or RPC.

ss-1.jpgss-2.jpg

The were pick ups at a shop that closed. I missed the initial sale, the measuring tools were left over if you can believe that! I haven't shot pictures of them yet, but also picked up a 5" sine bar about 2" wide and a 10" about 8" x 11". No idea what I'll do with them as I have a 1" wide 5" bar I've used once. Probably end up being more stuff for my wife to dispose of at some point.

OK, little secret for on-line shopping, every once in a while I score. Sellers typo the names of items. I've found Mitutoyo, Starrett, Lufkin, Interapid, etc. stuff by searching for misspellings. Don't strike very often, but have scored some nice stuff spelled "Starett" or "Starret".

I've got more stuff than I'll ever use so don't mind the competition. Might reel me in a bit . . .

Bruce
Bruce, you are right about the misspelling. I am in old Datsuns and every once in awhile I see some dumbarse advertising his little weiner dog. Dachshund is close to Datsuns I guess....

I scored what I think is a cast iron surface plate, not real sure and a 6" craftsman planer
View attachment 234341View attachment 234342View attachment 234343
The plate is 15 x 18. Also scored a Kwik-Way valve grinder,no pics yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does anyone know what the maker of this cast iron surface plate is? I have one from a GM aircraft bodywork division but I can't seem to find anything else about it. I've seen other ones around but no other information.

Attachments

• 20190319_215041.jpg
    20190319_215041.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20190320_004041.jpg
    20190320_004041.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 40
  • 20190320_004036.jpg
    20190320_004036.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20190320_004236.jpg
    20190320_004236.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20190320_004137.jpg
    20190320_004137.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 33
Few more items. Picked up a couple of 3/8" M12 Milwaukee Fuel ratchets; one for the house, one for the shop. They've got some weight to them, but are variable speed and put out 55 ft. lbs. of torque. The Fuel style means a brushless motor. Don't think I'd use them enough to wear out the brush style, but I figure what's mine is my wife's which will become our son's.

20190401_192435.jpg

20190401_192507.jpg

Last of the "stuff" from the local shop that shut down. They had a slug of DTI's, most were Federal Testmasters. Don't know if that's good or not, but I've now got a lifetime supply.

20190401_193043.jpg
20190401_193330.jpg

Also grabbed a 5" x 2" sine bar/plate and an 10" x 6" sine plate.

20190401_193517.jpg

Bruce

That's quite a haul Bruce. Bought one of the 3/8th ratchets a year ago, they're incredible. Had an air one but the hose was always an issue not to mention having to drag the hose out.

Greg

That's quite a haul Bruce. Bought one of the 3/8th ratchets a year ago, they're incredible. Had an air one but the hose was always an issue not to mention having to drag the hose out.

Greg
Hi Greg,

Rare earth magnets and Li-ion batteries have really helped out the cordless tools. I remember starter motors for a 350 V-8 Olds diesel engine being about as big as a fire extinguisher. Now their smaller than a water bottle. I've been really happy with the M12 system though I still use a 110V 3/8" drill at one of my lathes for a couple of projects. I picked up one of their 3/8" impacts that puts out about 120 ft. lbs. and weighs about as much as a 3/8" butterfly impact. Like you noted, no hose or compressor to drag around. I've picked up 8 or 10 spare batteries for pretty cheap off eBay, have mostly the 2.5 Ah small ones but picked up a couple of large 6.0 Ah in case I'm on the roof.

Bruce

I have the 3/8ths impact too, amazing the torque it produces. The ratchet is the only 12 v one I have the rest are 18 v. Only complaint on the lithium powered tools is the lack of warning as the battery dies, Im usually in a tight spot or up a ladder when It won't turn on. The cordless are handy but still use a corded drill if there's much drilling to be done.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Rare earth magnets and Li-ion batteries have really helped out the cordless tools. I remember starter motors for a 350 V-8 Olds diesel engine being about as big as a fire extinguisher. Now their smaller than a water bottle. I've been really happy with the M12 system though I still use a 110V 3/8" drill at one of my lathes for a couple of projects. I picked up one of their 3/8" impacts that puts out about 120 ft. lbs. and weighs about as much as a 3/8" butterfly impact. Like you noted, no hose or compressor to drag around. I've picked up 8 or 10 spare batteries for pretty cheap off eBay, have mostly the 2.5 Ah small ones but picked up a couple of large 6.0 Ah in case I'm on the roof.

Bruce
I have the 3/8ths impact too, amazing the torque it produces. The ratchet is the only 12 v one I have the rest are 18 v. Only complaint on the lithium powered tools is the lack of warning as the battery dies, Im usually in a tight spot or up a ladder when It won't turn on. The cordless are handy but still use a corded drill if there's much drilling to be done.

Greg

I love the Milwaukee cordless stuff. The 3/8 M12 ratchet is the only M12 I have though, the rest are M18. Sadly none of my automotive air tools get used anymore but they are old now anyway. I still use the air die grinders though, cordless ones are too big & I don't ever see them getting small.

With the work I do, I've never ran out of battery in the middle of something except for my hackzall & blower. I have 5.0 batts. But I got a 9.0 batt for the blower now & hackzall I don't use that often for long periods of time.

Back