What Did The Gift Horse Bring You Today!

A buddy of mine dropped off a box of scrap steel for my pile. amongst the bits and pieces was a Goodell -PrattCo. No. 188 push pull reamer with 8 very small reamers. I never knew there was such a thing. How old would this be. I have not measured them yet but they range from about 1/16" to about 5/32".
Martin

IMG_1498.JPG

IMG_1496.JPG

IMG_1497.JPG

Last edited:
A very used pallet jack showed up at my garage door yesterday. Needs some work, but hey, for free I'm not complaining!
I bought a pallet jack when I needed to move a machine. When buying it I thought that it was a real waste of money as I'll only use it once. I was sooooo wrong, I use the pallet jack around the shop all the time, it's a real time and back saver. Get your new to you pallet jack cleaned up and find a home for it in your shop, before long you'll have many uses for it.

Goodell -PrattCo. No. 188 push pull reamer

My father had one of those, in the '30s. I still have it, still use it, I still use it, much easier for starter holes for wood screws than any powered drill motor. I recently found a complete set of drill bits for it, many were missing after at least 80 years of service.

I bought a pallet jack when I needed to move a machine. When buying it I thought that it was a real waste of money as I'll only use it once. I was sooooo wrong, I use the pallet jack around the shop all the time, it's a real time and back saver. Get your new to you pallet jack cleaned up and find a home for it in your shop, before long you'll have many uses for it.

I bought a new Jet pallet jack, when I bought the new lathe. I would not be without it. Both of my larger mills are setting on the reinforced plastic pallets, with a 1/2" steel plate (same size as the pallet top) sandwiched in between, the mill and the pallet, then bolted the mill to the pallet. Now I can pick up the mill and move it, clean under it and either relocate or replace the mill, to the original place.

Three years ago, I took all of the equipment (except the lathe), out of the shop and did a complete clean out of the shop, "found" lost tools and get about 3, 55 gallon drums of scarf, that was under and behind machines, tool boxes and in unreachable corners. This is a reminder, maybe its time to do it again.

A buddy of mine dropped off a box of scrap steel for my pile. amongst the bits and pieces was a Goodell -PrattCo. No. 188 push pull reamer with 8 very small reamers. I never knew there was such a thing. How old would this be. I have not measured them yet but they range from about 1/16" to about 5/32".
Martin
That's a drill. Works OK for quick small drilled holes.

IMG_0273.jpg

One of the machinists at the shop my son used to work at passed away some time ago, and all the employees had an
opportunity to choose tools from his box. My son gave me these, which were part of what he chose. The large square
has no markings and appears shop made, but very nicely. The small square is a Lufkin No. 138 diemakers square. I took it apart,
cleaned all the crud out and oiled it up: it's a lovely little tool. I also got a 2" micrometer standard, which I needed.

Came across this lot of test fixtures on Craigs List for a good price. Our USPS sucks at package delivery, so I had written off ever seeing these. They were waiting on my porch with USPS Claims Office stickers & the wrong address on them. It's a wonder they could ever get delivered here.

20200315 01.jpg

Back