What collets????

I too recommend a good set of R8 collets. Even if you eventually go with another method, you might need to go R8 in a pinch, if you run out of clearance, etc.

This is my set of "goes in the collets" drills
2d053952c8c2f66d13129b90ef0cdb00.jpg

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Working in a machine shop. I can say, R-8 is the way to go.
ER collets are only used in the CNC miils.
5 Bridgeports, Vectrax and big mill is a Free.

I do alot of drilling in formed handle blanks and use drills with 3/16 shanks, to allow using the same R-8 collet and all drills fit and have max Z travel.

Ended up getting a full set of R8 collets instead of going w/ the e32 adapter……which IO would have in the absence of everyone’s advice.

Reasoning….. I haven't got a drill chuck yet so since I have a full set in 1/16th inch increments, I'll be able to drill anything I want. I looked very carefully at the ads, they all seem to be made out of Chinese-i-um so I at least got a set that claimed to have a specific amount of run out. I thought seriously about going with Cbags suggestion of getting the End Mill holder set but noticed that many of the endmills I have don't have a flat on them, Dabbler mentioned this is a problem after I had already noticed it. I also worried that they would have the same run out issue. I also bought a set that specified the material it was made out of. I tried to buy a “good quality set”, IE: not from China, but how do you know??? Many of the US branded sets may in fact actually be made in China. And who knows what a used set condition will be. Also....most "Name Brand sets are not marked...so how do you know you are actually getting name brand!!! I didn't see the suggestion on buying a metric set end time before I ordered. But I think that I probably would have gone with an inch set anyway,

Really appreciate all the good feedback. It was a big help.

I ordered a phase converter, I made sure and get one that was way oversized to be certain I didn't run into a problem with that. I will get to work getting it all hooked up and hope for the best.

@evlwhtguy For first tooling, I think you are on the right track. Maybe later you might get other system(s)

All of my Hardinge collets are marked/branded.

There are well made end mill holders made for major brands, and it doesn't matter where they were made, that's not the problem, well not exactly. Offshore stuff can be great, but it costs a lot to have high precision, European made, North American made, or Asian made. The good ones are just harder to find is all.

The only way to know today, is to buy-it-and-try-it. Unfortunately. That goes for used as well. After all, an abused Hardinge .00008 collet, becomes a .003 collet.

That last sentence was exactly my concern. AGAIN...great feedback from everyone!!!

ALSO.....I would be shocked if my hobby machining in my garage ever gets close to a precision of even .005. That Sharp mill is far more accurate than my skills or ability will ever reach. The only hobby I ever had where my skills ever exceeded the quality of the equipment I had was long range shooting. I only know this because I significantly upgraded one of my rifles to a higher level and realized that some of the missed shots I have had over the years...weren't me!

I just got a nice LMV Sharp milling machine with no vice or collets. I can buy either r-8 collets or an adapter and ER 40 collets. If I get an adapter and ER 40 collets I will be able to hold larget cutteres than I could with R-8 collets.........Does anyone have an opinion on this one way or the other?????
My opinion, if I had enough money to do one or the other I would look at a set of R8 collets, but remember the cheaper sets tend to have run-out as do the cheaper sets of er collets, you'll get what you pay for. If you are looking for something to hold end mills I would invest in a set of end mill holders, I like the Accusize, very good quality at a reasonable price.

That last sentence was exactly my concern. AGAIN...great feedback from everyone!!!

ALSO.....I would be shocked if my hobby machining in my garage ever gets close to a precision of even .005. That Sharp mill is far more accurate than my skills or ability will ever reach. The only hobby I ever had where my skills ever exceeded the quality of the equipment I had was long range shooting. I only know this because I significantly upgraded one of my rifles to a higher level and realized that some of the missed shots I have had over the years...weren't me!
Read the rating and pay attention to the number of ratings before buying. Pay close attention to what the bad ratings are saying, you'll be able to spot the true problems from the bad attitudes.

Back