1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

What CNC machine is this?

Discussion in 'CNC IN THE HOME SHOP' started by strantor, Feb 22, 2017.

1. strantor

strantor United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Katy
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

41JtXTh+UbL.jpg 51mx6BSSNnL.jpg 41eG8VN8gRL.jpg

I know that most of the companies selling these asian mills (ex: the RF45 available from Bolton, Grizzly, Jet, P.Matthews, and a dozen others) are all coming from the same place, just with different colors and different bells/whistles per the vendor.

But this Bolton CNC seems to be an anomaly. I don't know what the model number is, and I can't find it sold by anyone else. Bolton no longer sells it and took it off their website. I wonder why. Is/was it a piece of crap? Is that why nobody else sells it?

Does anybody know anything about this machine (specifically, where I can find reviews) or similar machine from another company?

2. TrinidadBill

TrinidadBill United States Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Trinidad
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

BoltonTool.com

strantor likes this.
  3. brino

brino Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Almonte
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

strantor likes this.
  4. strantor

strantor United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Katy
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Okay, that mill was not on the Bolton website before (when I posted this question). I have a bolton tools office here in Houston and for the longest time I was considering buying from them so as to avoid paying shipping. I was very familiar with their website. I went to their shop to look at their ZX45 mill and told the lady I was planning to convert it to CNC. She says "we have a little CNC over here in the corner; it's a returned item we could sell at a discount." I went and looked at it, and it was the model I posted. I asked why it wasn't on their website and she said they used to sell it, but had too many problems, mostly with shipping; they arrived broken too often, so they discontinued. I see they're selling them again. maybe they ironed out the issue.

I ended up buying a CNC mill so I'm no longer pursuing this, but I'd still be curious if any of the other asian machine retailers are selling these, and if they're worth a darn.

brino likes this.
  5. brino

brino Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Almonte
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

No harm done, it gave me another excuse to go surfing a tool site.
    Besides I did not find it directly......why is their cnc mill under the lathe link?

-brino

strantor likes this.
  6. TrinidadBill

TrinidadBill United States Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Trinidad
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

There is one for sale locally, which is how I found this original post. I was searching for "what the heck is a Bolton mill?" The price, which seems to be a common trait for a Bolton, is very reasonable.

brino likes this.