What carbide insert is this

Martin22250

Registered
Registered
I bought this insert tool off eBay and want to know what kind of insert this tool has on it so I can buy a couple spares, I have only used hss so insert tools are new to me
Thanks Dustin

20170524_204729.jpg

The photo you have posted is not an insert, it's an anvil. The actual threading insert would sit on top of the anvil. Anvils are interchangeable to change helix angle.

Without knowing the tool holder designation it's hard to determine what insert size you need from just that pic.

My guess is it's a 16ER size as that is most common. Did the tool come with any else or as is with no threading insert? Can you post the letters & numbers on the side of the tool holder? Should be SER something.

You can also get an idea of the size of the insert from the anvil. Measure the inscribed circle of the anvil. Doesn't have to be exact & it won't be unless you have the insert to measure off of.

A 3/8" inscribed circle (largest circle that will fit in the triangle shape of the insert) would be a 16 size insert. 1/4" I.C. would be a 11 size insert. 1/2" I.C. would be a 22 size insert. ER means it's an insert for external threads. IR is for internal threads. Your holder is for external threads so it will be ER.

Thanks this is what came in my box, I thought the gold inserts were for threading and the other for turning, shows what I know, still don't understand the anvil purpose

20170524_213802.jpg

The anvil sets the helix angle at which the the threading insert sits at. The anvils are available in different angles. Don't worry about, just install the insert on top of the anvil. Unless you are threading very coarse pitches, the standard anvil that usually comes with SER holders will cover a wide range of threads.

looks like you may not need any new inserts in your lifetime. not in my lifetime but I am old

The anvil sets the helix angle at which the the threading insert sits at. The anvils are available in different angles. Don't worry about, just install the insert on top of the anvil. Unless you are threading very coarse pitches, the standard anvil that usually comes with SER holders will cover a wide range of threads.
Ok thanks, this form is really helpful, another question is why does it has 3 different grinds on it, and it has a side adjustment screw? I'm guess the anvil is just mild steel, I almost tried to cut a grade 8 bolt with the anvil to just try it out my new toy, I'm guessing it wouldn't of worked out good

I bought this insert tool off eBay and want to know what kind of insert this tool has on it so I can buy a couple spares, I have only used hss so insert tools are new to me
Thanks Dustin
That's a shim in the tool. Very important that you don't lose our damage it!

That's a laydown threading tool. You'll want 11ER or 16ER inserts for it, depending on its size. 11ER for 1/4" inscribed circle, 16ER for 3/8".

The inserts are available in a huge range: full profile inserts for a specific TPI, partial profile that handle a range of sizes but require cleanup of the thread crests, unified, Acme, buttress, Whitworth, etc etc etc.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Ok thanks, this form is really helpful, another question is why does it has 3 different grinds on it, and it has a side adjustment screw? I'm guess the anvil is just mild steel, I almost tried to cut a grade 8 bolt with the anvil to just try it out my new toy, I'm guessing it wouldn't of worked out good

Just the way it's designed. The round corner to fit in the pocket. The pointed corner to support the cutting top of the insert (when you lay an insert on top of it you'll see that it's actually shorter than the insert's tip to allow clearance for cutting), and the flat side is for the mounting screw.

The screw is just that, for mounting the anvil. If you unscrew the screw on the side, it allows you to remove remove the anvil to swap ot out if/when needed.

Like Ken stated, it should be made of carbide but it's not ground appropiately for cutting cause it's just an anvil. I too have seen people actually try to cut with it though.

Back