What can you tell me about this

Everyons is correct so far. As Richard just said use you fingernail it will trip in the smallest things. That lathe is going to be intimidating if you have never run a large lathe before. Just make sure you are not getting in over your head with this. Other than that good luck and good find.

"Billy G"

Bob is right on about everything and I would 2nd his advise about up near the chuck. slide your finger nail up the ways and feel for deep scratches or if there is a ridge at the very top. It looks like it has a ad-on lube pump that wasn't factory installed. That may mean the lube pump in the carriage stopped pumping or someone rebuilt the machine and added a automatic lube pump. Another place to look for worn machine is to look for the on and off levers on the right side of the carriage. Many times the handle wiggle real bad and the bushings that support the shaft are loose. Also crank the saddle to the right and bring a rag and look the rack. The teeth should all look the same if it isn't real worn. Lock the tailstock quill and see how much back lash there is in the screw. As others have said check the back lash in the compound and cross-slide feed screws too. I once owned a P&W lathe and it was a great HD machine. P&W Machine Company is one of the great machine builders the USA had. One last thing, look at how the seller talks to you, see if he looks you in the eye when he talks to you, see if he knows the history, who owned it before he did, where did it come from, what did he use it for? Did he ever weld any shafts on it. That could have really screwed up the spindle bearings if they had. The price is about right if it runs OK, but I would take cash and offer him $1500.00 first say you have cash.
Good luck....Rich
PS: It is a heavy sucker, I can some research in my books and a 16 x 54 is 4650 pounds. and the new price for a 1953 was $9,755.00.

So just by reading this on the oiler setup, we have a Sydney at work a little larger than this one, but not much. My old machinist buddy came by, and had to explain to me how the oiler works, the carriage gear box has a pump in it for the ways, that is what he told me, there is a diverter valve behind the box that diverts oil to the cross slide ways, if you are doing a lot of facing? So when I read this, this lathe when factory built must have been the same way? Must have been a pretty common design on these larger lathe's. We use our only for basic operations, polishing, facing etc. It is a real brute for center drilling with the tailstock! Ours is an old navy machine, so it is in pretty good shape! He looked at my tailstock and said it had not been modified, he said a common practice was to put a link, to link the carriage to the tailstock, he said it really was a OK idea to move the heavy tailstock into place, but he said some guy's turned the carriage feed down slow and used it to drive the tailstock and drill he told me it was pretty hard on the gears in the carriage apron. That is the way he explained it to me he may have called it a hitch, or link? I have never saw the setup and I may be incorrect, but that is how he explained it to me, maybe someone on here who knows more than me can clarify on this.

One thing I did see here was it does have a Quick Change Tool Post, and some tooling, any tooling is a big plus. The only thing I can say here is it might be good to purchase one of those new automatedexternal defibrillator (AED), and mount it on the wall behind the machine, That way when your local tooling guy comes by, and gives you prices on the tooling, you can avert having the Big Heart Attack! When I price the tooling at work, for these bigger lathes, its always way up there in cost, compared to the smaller machines! If I had a lathe this big, I would have to keep chipping away, at getting the tooling used, e-bay, craigslist etc. So if you do buy it, make sure you get any tooling he has with it!

Bob in Oregon

no, no, no... timing all wrong... strap on the AED before you get the tooling quote. -Too hard to hook that thing up when you're foaming at the mouth and stuff...

One more thing our Sydney, is 3 phase and has a 15 hp motor on it, it originally had about 8 drive belts on it, we are only using 3 and have had no problems with it, so I agree these old machines were way over built for the normal hobby use ! That ad stated a single phase 7 hp,this has to have been changed out from the old 3 phase motor, so if the changed out motor, is not the same rpm as the original, the spindle speeds may not be accurate! Just use a photo tach, and make a chart, for your actual spindle speeds, would work to get you by. Would not affect threading because that is a gear ratio to the spindle, ours at work has some great speeds for threading! I know It has a splindle speed as low as 23 rpm and there may even be a slower spindle speed on it!

Bob in Oregon

The BiJur oil pump inside the gearcase / carriage runs off a cam that pumps when the bottom shaft turns when the spindle is turning, so when the feed shaft is turning to the cross-slide or the saddle they get oil. Inside the carriage there is a manifold with BiJur metering units that are stamped with a number, the lower the number the less amount of oil flows to the bearings, gears and ways.

The way units are usually # 2 and when working right they are suppose to feed or drip oil to the ways and gears. In all my 40+ years of rebuiding I have never seen a diverter valve as your friend suggests. It might be on a Sidney, but I owned a P&W lathe and rebuilt many other brands and I never saw one. I have seen how those BiJrs get dirty and plugged or the copper lines get filled with crud and if the former owner unbolted the saddle to the carriage and looked at the job he would have accessing the pump in the bottom down under all the gears he decided to add the the pump on the outside, he probably replaced the BiJur units and plugged tubes he could get to.

Drilled a hole in the casting and ran a tube into the BiJur units. As a machine rebuilder, I can see someone doing this. On the right top side under the (forgot the name now) indicator there looks like manifold when I magnify the picture. That would also be a agood idea so the metering units could be changed with-out opening up machine. Many of the old machine designers did that,, putting the metering unit inside, dumb idea for doing maintenance and if the pump failed and if the operator wasn't watching the ways got scored. Rich

The BiJur oil pump inside the gearcase / carriage runs off a cam that pumps when the bottom shaft turns when the spindle is turning, so when the feed shaft is turning to the cross-slide or the saddle they get oil. Inside the carriage there is a manifold with BiJur metering units that are stamped with a number, the lower the number the less amount of oil flows to the bearings, gears and ways.

The way units are usually # 2 and when working right they are suppose to feed or drip oil to the ways and gears. In all my 40+ years of rebuiding I have never seen a diverter valve as your friend suggests. It might be on a Sidney, but I owned a P&W lathe and rebuilt many other brands and I never saw one. I have seen how those BiJrs get dirty and plugged or the copper lines get filled with crud and if the former owner unbolted the saddle to the carriage and looked at the job he would have accessing the pump in the bottom down under all the gears he decided to add the the pump on the outside, he probably replaced the BiJur units and plugged tubes he could get to.

Drilled a hole in the casting and ran a tube into the BiJur units. As a machine rebuilder, I can see someone doing this. On the right top side under the (forgot the name now) indicator there looks like manifold when I magnify the picture. That would also be a agood idea so the metering units could be changed with-out opening up machine. Many of the old machine designers did that,, putting the metering unit inside, dumb idea for doing maintenance and if the pump failed and if the operator wasn't watching the ways got scored. Rich

Thanks for your time doing that great right up! I have never found the valve either, there are some 1/4" or so tubes coming out of the LH side of the apron, I was going to take my bore camera down there, and see if I could see anything behind it, the cross slide does not seam to be getting much oil going to it. This is a pretty strange lathe, the navy had it, and there is a custom brass plate, now where the treading plate used to be, it is marked with decimal point numbers, and NO TPI markings, not sure what they were using if for and when I get time I need to see if the feed numbers, match any threads! I do not have a book on it at all! It also has herringbone gears in it. Bob in Oregon

Back