What are these?

jbroomeauto

Registered
Registered
What are these called and what kind of machine would they be used in? Specifically the one on the bottom it has a square plug threaded in the end. Just wondering if they could be used for light work on my Bridgeport as they are really large but have picked them up for free. Thanks for the help!

cutter.JPG

Reamers, the top two have mores tapers for mounting in a tailstock or drill press quill. The bottom one is adjustable via the plug, screwing it in makes the diameter a little larger. The last is a hand reamer.

Jake Parker

Those are reamers. The top two are Morris Taper shank for use in a lathe tail stock or drill press quill. The bottom two are hand reamers. All could be used in a mill or a lathe as long as you can hang on to them. I have been known to modify the shank to fit my needs.

I think the bottom one is a king pin reamer, but not exactly sure about that.

Thanks! ok one more question what would you "ream" sorry for my ignorance.. Maybe you could give me an idea what I would use them on or for.. I guess what I am asking is if I put in the Bridgeport could I use them to face a piece of metal? or cut a slot?

They are for enlarging holes you have already drilled. Usually just over the drill size so that a bearing or other device will fit smoothly.:nono:

Basic Reamer Information

Drill bits do not produce accurately sized holes nor do the creat truely round holes. Have you ever drilled a piece of sheet metal? If you do you will find the hole to be tri-lobular.

A reamer is used to create a round hole of specified diameter. I hole is drilled just undersized of the reamer and then the reamer is used to clean it up.

Hand reamers will have a square end on it for use with a tap handle or a square nut socket wrench.

Reamers that are meant for machine use will have a straight shank for use in a collet or drill chuck or they will have a tapered shank for use in a socket such as Morse taper or Brown and Sharp taper.

I hope this is of help,

Vlad

To my eye, the top two reamers look to be jig bore reamers; I base this on the rather short overall length, and if you can confirm this, they do not have a chamfer on the cutting end; they are made to size holes that have been previously drilled, without pulling to the side if the drilled hole is not perfectly centered with the spindle axis, as opposed to a machine reamer, which pretty much follows the drilled hole; it makes a nicely sized hole but not necessarily located exactly at the axis of the spindle. Anyone who has used a machine reamer in the lathe on a hole where the drill may have started poorly and the hole runs eccentrically can witness this tendency; you end up with a hole that is not concentric with the part being made, and also, the hole is not so accuratly sized due to the reamer wobbling it's way along.
The bottom reamer looks to be an ordinary hand reamer, made to take only a few thousandths out of a hole that was likely bored or machine reamed.

Back