What are the different ways of measuring the pitch diameter of a screw thread?

I first became acquainted with GageMaker in the 80's, as I remember it. Bought everything from Deterco Sales. I know Gary Deterling, who started that distributor and he helped get me set up with all the ID and OD stuff. Later came the API stuff. I still have a thread height gage and a lead gage with a few standards, but I don't have the whole setup any more. I do have the software, and use it quite frequently.

I think they changed the company name now to something else, but I can't recall it. Houston Precision maybe?

I first became acquainted with GageMaker in the 80's, as I remember it. Bought everything from Deterco Sales. I know Gary Deterling, who started that distributor and he helped get me set up with all the ID and OD stuff. Later came the API stuff. I still have a thread height gage and a lead gage with a few standards, but I don't have the whole setup any more. I do have the software, and use it quite frequently.

I think they changed the company name now to something else, but I can't recall it. Houston Precision maybe?

Use to deal with, the company I worked for, Gary back when I was at Huntsville years back. He used to come in and work on our prehistoric J & L comparater we had then, later retired and a newer one took its place. He still around, I haven't dealt with him since then. At Huntsville, we had over 20 PD internal and external sets, with 100's of rolls for the instruments and one mic track. They used it for calibrating everyone's mics, calipers, etc.

Back when I first started using Gagemaker, we dealt with them direct, back around '87, '88?

I believe they have a dealer network they deal thru today.

Anyone have a picture of the Gagemaker?

Nelson

Thanks for the links, Gordon. I know you from another site, that will remain un-named. We do have a section for member sites, so I may move this one, or at least copy it to that sub-forum.

Welcome to the quiet side of the river.

Welcome Gordon!

Your link is appreciated. If you have a list of links, just post them here or in the site forum and we can sticky them for people to have handy.

Nelson

I use thread wires. taping the wires to a light piece of cardboard 1 wire at one end and 2 wires at the other end. fold the cardboard in half lining up the wires. stops you from dropping the wires into the chip pan never to be seen again. bill

Where I used to work I used a comparator. We also had A Johnson Thread gage.

upload_2017-6-19_21-56-11.png

How do you use a screw-thread micrometer or three-wire method of checking the pitch diameter of a screw thread?

:tiphat:Nelson
My thread wires have three wires , two on one side and one 180 degrees opposite side .
And it also has a chart with the set that tells you what to add to the Outside diameter of the part you are threading .
I will take 1" masking tape and lay two wires next to each other about the thread pitch then the other wire 3" or 4" and fold the tape back over to meet the end . Tear it off and Wright on the tape the Dia. The chart calls for . For example if you are threading a
5/8 - 11- tpi. You would use the .055 and you would add to the diameter of you part .0273 = .6523
Is what you will thread to I would cut .652 or .651
The masking tape makes it easy to work with
And if you drop one you drop all of them in to the chip pan you want have any trouble finding your thread wires . If you drop one in the chip pan with out the tape on it . It can be very hard to find in a chip pan half full of chips .

IMG_6353.JPG

IMG_6354.JPG

IMG_6355.JPG

Last edited:
Back