What are taper shank end mills used for ?

A few people mentioned turning the tapered end to a constant, say 3/4" diameter. How would one hold an endmill in a chuck to accomplish this? I'm thinking of a ~1" long cylinder, bored with a taper to mate with the big end of the endmill shank, outside diameter anything bigger than the endmill size, and then one split so that it can clamp down on the endmill shank. Then chuck on the newly machined length and finish the remaining tapered portion... ?
Not that I'm considering doing any of this but it crossed my mind!

A few people mentioned turning the tapered end to a constant, say 3/4" diameter. How would one hold an endmill in a chuck to accomplish this? I'm thinking of a ~1" long cylinder, bored with a taper to mate with the big end of the endmill shank, outside diameter anything bigger than the endmill size, and then one split so that it can clamp down on the endmill shank. Then chuck on the newly machined length and finish the remaining tapered portion... ?
Not that I'm considering doing any of this but it crossed my mind!
The end mill could be clamped in a collet to turn the shank down; incidently, I have seen this done, and it is easy to do, as the shanks are not hard, the HSS cutting end is welded onto a soft shank. I have seen MT end mills, but they are a poor proposition, as they easily come loose when end milling with its sideways forces; the B&S taper does much better in that respect due to its lesser taper angle, I used to have a lot of them, but let them go with my 1906 B&S horizontal milling machine; of course, the end mills made to be pulled into the spindle with a draw bolt are all the better, but I have not had trouble with them with tangs working loose.

If the shanks are threaded and can be held in with a drawbar, then there is no problem at all with them.

Back