What aluminum for bushings?

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
The car I'm working on has replaced the OEM suspension control arms with chrome moly tubing that has heim joints. There are aluminum bushings for reducing, as well as spacing. What type of aluminum is used for the bushings? I have 2024-T351, not sure if it would be the right type for the job though. Thank you

No idea what "they" use for those bushings and spacers. I would use 7075 myself, probably T6 as it is easier to get. I have not used T651 but that would have slightly better corrosion resistance. 7075 is very light, good tensile strength and machines fairly well. I would consider this application a structural part and would go with 7075-T651 over something like 6061.

Here is an ebay listing to consider: http://www.ebay.com/itm/7075-T651-A...483322?hash=item2eb83cbaba:g:v2AAAOSw57xZ0uAw
Under $17.00 for 1-1/4" X 12", shipped.

No idea what "they" use for those bushings and spacers. I would use 7075 myself, probably T6 as it is easier to get. I have not used T651 but that would have slightly better corrosion resistance. 7075 is very light, good tensile strength and machines fairly well. I would consider this application a structural part and would go with 7075-T651 over something like 6061.

Here is an ebay listing to consider: http://www.ebay.com/itm/7075-T651-A...483322?hash=item2eb83cbaba:g:v2AAAOSw57xZ0uAw
Under $17.00 for 1-1/4" X 12", shipped.
Ok great, it will see street time, so being able to monitor, and replace as needed is good. Thank you

2024 is very common for aircraft parts.
Thank you, I have 3' of 2024, and 2' of 7075. From the above link the 7075 seems to have "harder" properties just looking at some of the numbers. Learning all of this could be another life long career.

I would not worry too much about the hardness, pick one that you can machine easily. The axial loads will be limited by the tear-out of the ball (nylon inserts?) and radial by the center bolt. The only concern would be something hard enough to not hammer out in the reducing shank section. Electrical tape is right out. But I have been known to make the spacers from Delrin with no issues. Admittedly, it was a 1400# car, but the plastic worked fine.

I would be paying attention to the corrosion resistance of the metals, all of those alloys are hard enough for spacers. The aluminum to steel interfaces can cause corrosion problems. If the aluminum parts are actually taking the shear and bending loading, then strength would be the issue, but it does not look like the aluminum is taking shear or bending loading, but rather simple spacers/bushings.

Back