What Ajust-tru chuck for pm1440gs?

Hozzie

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I like the idea of the Ajust-tru chucks. I am getting a PM1440GS that comes with 8" Chinese 3 jaw and 4 jaw chucks. I also ordered the Taiwan 8" 4 jaw.

I am thinking I would like to get an Ajust-tru to minimize having to switch chucks often. Primary work will be gun related, but I will use it as my main chuck for any general turning as well.

I will plan to sell the Chinese chucks to recouperate some of the money.

My question, what size (6 or 8") and what number of jaws would you recommend. I will keep the Taiwan 4 jaw for use if needed.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I purchased a tool mex 8" 3 jaw set tru. It's 869.00 thru precision Mathews.
It's made by the same bison , in Poland tool mex or something. The bison chuck would have cost over 1200
I also purchased the Taiwan 8" 4 jaw.

They also offer an affordable 3 jaw set tru Taiwan chuck, something like 499.00

Rich

Last edited:
That's a 10". Bigger than I want or need. Really thinking 6" is ok for 99% of what I plan to do and thought it may be easier to use with smaller diameter work.

As these work as a scroll as well, I was also thinking a 4 jaw may be better for holding power, but don't know if there would be any disadvantage over the 3 jaw version.

I purchased a tel mex 8" 3 jaw set tru. It's 869.00 thru precision Mathews.
It's made by the same bison , in Poland tel mex or something. The bison chuck would have cost over 1200
I also purchased the Taiwan 8" 4 jaw.

They also offer an affordable 3 jaw set tru Taiwan chuck, something like 499.00

Rich

Thanks. I'll ask Matt what he has.

Love my Pratt Burnerd set tru 3 jaw. It hasn't come off the lathe since installation. It's a bit spendy, but you get what you pay for.

I believe Bison makes a combination 4J.
I'm looking for a new chuck myself. Rohm chucks are very nice too. There are a few new ones on eBay for a fair price.

This is the one Matt carries as Rich pointed out. Seems like a good deal at $869 including a D1-5 backplate. That's the way I am leaning right now unless someone sees something obviously wrong. TIR is listed at .0006. Same as the Bison (Same webpage as well).

https://www.toolmex.com/itemdetail?auto=1&itemcode=3-866-0800P

Last edited:
Do you have any idea when they may start shipping hozzie! They got my cc for the lathe and the 2 chucks, so I am very hopefully it's soon.
I think the 4j Taiwan upgrade and the toolmex 3 jaw are a really nice combination. I've heard others talk about the toolmex being a good chuck...

Rich

I didn't ask Matt today when I talked to him. The lathes show in stock online now so I would expect any day for them to ship. Not sure if Matt's team is having to put on the dro's so that may take a bit more. The toolmex chuck will ship direct he said, so that won't be a holdup.

Back