What About Bolton And Prm Lathes

jmarkwolf

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm in the market for a 12x36 lathe for a home shop.

Looking a the Grizzly and Precision Matthews product.

I don't see much in the way of opinions on the web regarding Bolton and PRM lathes in this class.

Anyone know why?

Not sure why. Perhaps it is a numbers game, with Grizzly and Precision Matthews having far more sales.

I looked at a local dealer who had Balleigh machines in stock. He was pricing their 12x36 at just under $5k. No extras included. I was going for the PM1236 myself but then a G4003 came up locally with some extras, the price WAY less than brand new with shipping.

Found out some info on the PRM brand.

It's the Production Tool Service private brand, targeted at the home shop market. "PRM" is the acronym for "PR"oduction "M"achines.

They have a number of products, including a Bridgeport clone as well as 13x40 and 14x40 lathes, and others. It's a new product line for them, which might explain why I couldn't find any info or reviews on the web.

Production Tool is having a sale on the 13x40 lathe for $2550.00, which is the best price I've seen on that class machine.

I drove over to a local Production Tool store to look at one. It was quite rough, with loose, missing and bent bolts. The unit is shipped on the stand, and the stand was spray painted on the pallet as evidenced by the over-spray on the pallet. Nothing I'd be proud to have in my shop. The model I saw would need a lot of TLC cosmetically, and who knows how well made the rest of it is made.

I left a couple questions for the product manager and called me later the same day. I described the unit and told him the unit I saw was not something he might want on the sales floor. He offered to have his technicians uncrate a fresh one and check it over good for me if I'd like.

Even at that price, I'm reluctant to gamble on a unit after seeing how rough one copy was.

Looks like I'm back to arguing with myself regarding the Grizzly vs Precision Matthews.

I have the 1127VF LB model and the over all quality of PM lathes are very good. The size lathe your looking at is going to be appreciated by you for a very long time. Call Matt, he will answer your questions either buy phone or email.Easy guy to talk with.

I have a Precision Mathews mill and have not had any problems with it. PM (owner Matt) has good customer service, low prices and ships cheap.

They have a truely awful web site however and you should call PM directly before placing an order to determine if your machine is in stock

I have a Precision Mathews mill and have not had any problems with it. PM (owner Matt) has good customer service, low prices and ships cheap.

They have a truely awful web site however and you should call PM directly before placing an order to determine if your machine is in stock
They have a new website: http://www.precisionmatthews.com/
I think the content is the same though.

Back