• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

wet carpet cutting tool

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

John_Dennis

Active User
I attempted to make a tool to cut wet nasty carpet out of flooded homes. It worked a little but tents to clogged with fibers.

I am sure this could be much improved, I am looking for something quick and simple as I want to make several.

IMG_0759.JPG IMG_0760.JPG IMG_0761.JPG IMG_0762.JPG

kvt

Active User
+1 the knife needs to be one solid piece. Either welded in, or made in. Yea, a pain to sharpen but a good file or stone will do that. Think if something like the sickle in the horror movies. Sharp tip, and a long curved cutting bade. And they can be very sharp.

kvt

Active User
brino I can see that, but the hook on the opposite side to pull the carpet up with. This way you can pull it up a little cut into chunks and pull them out of the way without having to get down in the muck

Hawkeye

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
If you grind a thin slot into the hook on your tool, so that the end of your blade fits into the slot, it should prevent the jamming you are getting. Then the blade is still replaceable as you have designed.

4gsr

HM Chief Foreman
Staff member
If the carpet is really old, get a cut started and pull! Should rip into strips making it easy for removal, even soaking wet.

Eddyde

Active User
+1 on the hook style utility knife blades, they cut carpet like butter and stay pretty sharp. You can even resharpen the blades with a small cylindrical stone, saves having to change them as often.

grumpygator

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Administrator
Use your hook to pull it off the tack strip and over on top of itself than cut through the backing.
When I strip carpet I go with 3' wide strips rolled up and stacked at the curb. Here in Florida the carpet company's pay for the old padding ...not much but better than throwing it away...
**G**

Silverbullet

It would be better with a revolving sharpened cutter. Round blades could cut down on the bunching of straight cutters. An old pizza cutter blade sharpened and bolted but not tight.

5 7