Went Shopping....what Did I Buy??

Picture 5 is a tail stock for a rotary table or dividing head. Looks like you have 2 of them.
Yes, they are twins, only the colors are different was thinking about modifying one to make it into a dividing head and use the other for the tail stock as designed.

Rodney

I have a set or two of the hold downs that you talked about and they don't look like what I see in the bottom picture . Like Bob said I think they might be stepted paralles. The piece in the first and second pictures with the hole and the micrometer looks to be for setting the bit on a boreing bar. I am likely wrong.

I have a set or two of the hold downs that you talked about and they don't look like what I see in the bottom picture . Like Bob said I think they might be stepted paralles. The piece in the first and second pictures with the hole and the micrometer looks to be for setting the bit on a boreing bar. I am likely wrong.
Hi David,
The hold downs or parellels don't have any 90degree edges, the ends taper in about 1 degree from rear to front and the rear edge (thickest part) is tapered about 5 degrees from top edge to bottom at the thick part. Measures 12" by 1 13/16" by 3/8" thick at the rear edge.
Actually I'll bet you are on the right track with the tool with the micrometer. It even has pads cast into it for the tool to rest on!
Rodney

Lots of cool stuff Rodney , I especially like the Starrett test indicator . I had one once back in the 70's . I "updated" for a Tesa Interapid , I really wish I had still had the Starrett Last Word . I've been looking on the Bay for one and I noticed that Craftsman had at one time sold a test indicator that was very similar to the Starrett but with the Craftsman logo .

Lots of cool stuff Rodney , I especially like the Starrett test indicator . I had one once back in the 70's . I "updated" for a Tesa Interapid , I really wish I had still had the Starrett Last Word . I've been looking on the Bay for one and I noticed that Craftsman had at one time sold a test indicator that was very similar to the Starrett but with the Craftsman logo .

Thanks,
Just wish the indicator was complete, need to source quite a few parts. Likely will buy another one and keep this one for parts!
Since I'm starting out with pretty much nothing I take what I can get for now. The old prairie farm boy in me just cant resist a challenge.....or a deal!!
Rodney

Hi David,
The hold downs or parellels don't have any 90degree edges, the ends taper in about 1 degree from rear to front and the rear edge (thickest part) is tapered about 5 degrees from top edge to bottom at the thick part. Measures 12" by 1 13/16" by 3/8" thick at the rear edge.
Actually I'll bet you are on the right track with the tool with the micrometer. It even has pads cast into it for the tool to rest on!
Rodney
Your description of the angles on those parallels make me near positive that they are hold down plates that grip the sides of thin, flat work. like the Starrett 54's do. I think the additional steps are to hold the work up off the table for through cuts.

The hold downs are stepped to allow for tool clearance at the end of the cross feed. The steps accommodate different thicknesses of material rather than just the thinnest or thickest. It's an attempt at a happy medium.

Gene

Back