Went and looked at a lathe

Nice color , great lathe good luck . Someday I hope either a monarch or leblond will cross my doorway . Congratulations

Just a minute..........the guy had TWO lathes for sale, and you only bought ONE!! How could you............................:eek:

After seeing the first coat of paint dry I decided that it was too blue. Today I added some black to the mix. I think I have what I was looking for now. I put the second coat on the gearbox and it was a lot darker. We'll see what it looks like tomorrow. In the mean time I removed the headstock to clean and inspect it. It had an issue with the feed reverse. The problem was pretty obvious when I started poking around inside it. There's a bushing that should be held in place with a pin that is backed out about 0.375 and allows the gear to slide over and not mesh. With the spindle out of the way it should be easy enough to fix. There was about 1/2" of sludge in the bottom. I cleaned out most of it and the poured kero in and brushed it around. I'm letting it soak over night20171111_183334.jpg

The last guy that worked on this headstock must have had a few pieces left over when he was done. (I hate it when that happens) Fortunately it wasn't anything major. The rollers on the end of the shifting linkages and a couple of pins. It should click into gear a little tighter now. One of the bushings was installed backwards also. I'm hoping that he didn't find it necessary to work on the apron. It seemed to work well, but it will have to be taken apart to clean and inspect it. Hopefully no surprises.

20171113_182344.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Chuck,

If a photo ever ends up some place that you didn't intend for it to end up, and you can still edit it, click Edit and then over at the right end of the upper editing tool bar, click on the icon that looks like a spur gear. That will change the screen from showing the text and the photo to showing the text and the html code. All that I did was put the cursor to the left of the left-hand "[" and hit the ENTER key a couple of times.

Thanks. I find that I have a lot easier time when I use my computer. It's just a lot handier to use my phone because the pictures are all stored on it.

Someone probably makes a phone to USB cable and the necessary program to dump the photos on the phone to the computer. If I didn't already have a far better camera, that's for sure what I would do.

20171118_094117.jpg
This is the collar that mounts on the end of the qc gearbox. The leadscrew runs through it. It was broken somehow. I don't mind fixing cast pieces but this one was small and kind of a pia. I had to make a plate to mount it on while brazing it. Once I knew that the pieces would be oriented correctly I ground a bit of a bevel on the edges.20171118_094701.jpg20171118_100527.jpg
After brazing the outside I ground it flat and mounted it on the mill to relieve the cracks on the other side.
20171118_123244.jpg
20171118_124235.jpg
After brazing the inside I removed the excess with a die grinder and file.
20171118_152140.jpg
A lot of work for a small piece, but it fits.
20171118_152357.jpg

Back