• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Went and looked at a lathe

Chuck K

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
A few years ago I had a 13" Regal. I put a lot of time into it fixing the little things that were wrong with it. Painted it. Powered it with a vfd. Mounted a dro. It was a sweet lathe. Had no intension of parting with it....until someone offered me a stupid price for it. I've kicked myself for selling it. It had it's shortcomings. Small spindle bore. Slow spindle speeds. But it was the nicest feeling lathe I've ever owned. So a friend calls about a month ago and tells me he gave my number to a friend that has a couple of lathes he needs to sell. I went to talk with him tonight and this is what I found. It has some issues but it would make a nice project. I made a realistic offer. Who knows, I might be a Regal owner again
20170912_174850.jpg

Uglydog

Active User
Old Iron wins again!!!
Please keep us posted.

Daryl
MN

dcheff

Active User
Awesome! My 24" leblond is almost done. Beautiful Machine

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Chuck K

Active User
Funny thing is, I've had a follow rest from my old regal sitting on a shelf all this time. A couple of months ago a friend stops by to look at a mill. He's telling me about this little regal he bought. I go over and find the follower and give it to him. I told him when I gave it to him that another one was sure to show up as soon as I gave that away...

Chuck K

Active User
Still in the almost phase haha

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I know what you're talking about. I'm still trying to finish up on my Hendey project in the little free time I have. The leblond will be sitting in the corner for a while.

Chuck K

Active User
Well I brought the LeBlond home last week. As usual it's going to be a project. The main issue with it was a problem in the qc box. It slipped when in the fasted feeds. All of the gears were good, so I figured a sheared pin or key...no big deal. Well after 4 hrs of work I finally got the shaft out of it. I had the die grinder with the cut-off wheel out and was going to cut the shaft in half after about two hrs off pressing and hammering on it. I took a break and decided to work at it again. I finally go it out after cutting the key into about 5 pieces. So after all of that I decided to paint it. I'm tired of smoke gray so I added some blue to it. It kind of looks like the Logan blueish gray. I think I'm going to like it after a 2nd coat 20171105_073538.jpg 20171108_182629.jpg

brino

Active User
Congratulations.....and great colour!
-brino

Silverbullet

Nice color , great lathe good luck . Someday I hope either a monarch or leblond will cross my doorway . Congratulations

hermetic

Active User
Just a minute..........the guy had TWO lathes for sale, and you only bought ONE!! How could you............................:eek:

Chuck K

Active User
After seeing the first coat of paint dry I decided that it was too blue. Today I added some black to the mix. I think I have what I was looking for now. I put the second coat on the gearbox and it was a lot darker. We'll see what it looks like tomorrow. In the mean time I removed the headstock to clean and inspect it. It had an issue with the feed reverse. The problem was pretty obvious when I started poking around inside it. There's a bushing that should be held in place with a pin that is backed out about 0.375 and allows the gear to slide over and not mesh. With the spindle out of the way it should be easy enough to fix. There was about 1/2" of sludge in the bottom. I cleaned out most of it and the poured kero in and brushed it around. I'm letting it soak over night 20171111_183334.jpg

Chuck K

Active User
The last guy that worked on this headstock must have had a few pieces left over when he was done. (I hate it when that happens) Fortunately it wasn't anything major. The rollers on the end of the shifting linkages and a couple of pins. It should click into gear a little tighter now. One of the bushings was installed backwards also. I'm hoping that he didn't find it necessary to work on the apron. It seemed to work well, but it will have to be taken apart to clean and inspect it. Hopefully no surprises.

20171113_182344.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
Chuck,

If a photo ever ends up some place that you didn't intend for it to end up, and you can still edit it, click Edit and then over at the right end of the upper editing tool bar, click on the icon that looks like a spur gear. That will change the screen from showing the text and the photo to showing the text and the html code. All that I did was put the cursor to the left of the left-hand "[" and hit the ENTER key a couple of times.

Chuck K

Active User
Thanks. I find that I have a lot easier time when I use my computer. It's just a lot handier to use my phone because the pictures are all stored on it.

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
Someone probably makes a phone to USB cable and the necessary program to dump the photos on the phone to the computer. If I didn't already have a far better camera, that's for sure what I would do.

Chuck K

Active User
20171118_094117.jpg
This is the collar that mounts on the end of the qc gearbox. The leadscrew runs through it. It was broken somehow. I don't mind fixing cast pieces but this one was small and kind of a pia. I had to make a plate to mount it on while brazing it. Once I knew that the pieces would be oriented correctly I ground a bit of a bevel on the edges. 20171118_094701.jpg 20171118_100527.jpg
After brazing the outside I ground it flat and mounted it on the mill to relieve the cracks on the other side.
20171118_123244.jpg
20171118_124235.jpg
After brazing the inside I removed the excess with a die grinder and file.
20171118_152140.jpg
A lot of work for a small piece, but it fits.
20171118_152357.jpg

markba633csi

Very nice repair- I enjoy seeing careful work like that. Kind of a wash between repairing and making new from scratch in this case.
Mark S.

Chuck K

Active User
I agree about the wash. Initially I was going to make one, but the original has the oil hole with the spiral grooves in the bore. I guess I could have done something along those lines. In hindsight it probably woud have been quicker.

Chuck K

Active User
Thanks guys. I reassembled the qc box today, but I will probably tear it back down.
20171119_174410.jpg
It has a tooth on one gear that binds a bit when it comes around. You can feel it and you can hear it. It's the smallest gear on the top right in this pic.
20171119_174432.jpg
The gears are actually in better shape then they appear in the pic. Must be the oil sitting on the teeth.

Container Above bottom breadcrumb