Wells-Index 860C "Universal" mill w/pics and questions

Just a quick question. With the horizontal mill section raising up the vertical head (like a riser), what is the minimum distance between the spindle and the table?

I'll either look up the specs when I'm at my shop tomorrow or just measure it for you. I know that I've had the spindle almost touching the top of my Kurt vise so that would put it within 6" or so of the table and I'm pretty sure I didn't have the knee "topped out".

-Ron

Update for you.

As I expected, the "minimum" distance between the table and the spindle is 0". The base of the machine was designed for the added height due to the horizontal milling component. Just to give you some other numbers: The "Z" (knee) has a 17" travel, the table "X" stroke is 32", and the "Y" is 12".

Hope that helps,

-Ron

Nice machine man!!! Thanks for all the pics. Let us know how it fits in that end of your little shop. Full travel OK? Room to work? How wide is the shop.. I may have missed it.

I'm jealous of the mill, she's beautiful :drool:!!!

YOU SUCK!!!!:rofl:

I hope you have a lot of fun with her!!

Nice machine man!!! Thanks for all the pics. Let us know how it fits in that end of your little shop. Full travel OK? Room to work? How wide is the shop.. I may have missed it.

It's a little "tight" but I measured the space before buying the mill to make sure I would have full travel and be able to use it. As you can see, height was a concern as well...

WIM010.JPG

I took this pic just after getting the mill and other tools moved back in to the "shop" as I had to clear it out to get the mill in.

I'm jealous of the mill, she's beautiful :drool:!!!

YOU SUCK!!!!:rofl:

I hope you have a lot of fun with her!!

I am quite fond of it to say the least. :biggrin: I've got a new DRO for it that I haven't been able to install yet and I'm still collecting tooling for it. That's a bit of a $$$ effort as I need to get two types of tooling - R8 and NMTB 40. (BTW, that NMTB 40 tooling is the only reason I knew yours wasn't CAT. I had to do a bunch of reading/learning to figure out what was going on with the different tapers.)

Thanks guys,

-Ron

You lucky dog.....that is my dream mill setup. Horizontal/vertical spindles.

very nice find!

Thanks. I'm still very happy with it (although I sometimes look wistfully at larger machines, it's a sickness! :eek:) I've added a couple of Kurt vises, a Troyke rotary table and an old Ellis indexing head to increase my work envelope and I'm in the process of (very) slowly getting the DRO installed on it. Once that is done I'll be milling out the horizontal milling arbor support I got from WI as it has to be drilled out/bored to match the machine. I'll be adding that little operation to this post when I get to it.

-Ron

Back