Wells-Index 860 Vert. Head for sale

Dr. Duzlittler

Registered
Registered
I've got a Wells-Index 860 Vert. Head that I would sell, it has a NMTB 40-45? Taper, but, I can install a R-8 taper. (I've done it with success and about .0002" Runout. Offers? Trade for NICE 3 axis DRO or Shaper Attachment?

I've got a Wells-Index 860 Vert. Head that I would sell, it has a NMTB 40-45? Taper, but, I can install a R-8 taper. (I've done it with success and about .0002" Runout. Offers? Trade for NICE 3 axis DRO or Shaper Attachment?

Got some picture & a price? I'm assuming this is a Bridgeport clone and will fit on my other BP?

My W-I 845 has an NMTB-30 spindle which I'm fond of. Not sure what the differences are with the 860?

Cheers!
Jeff Pfeifer

My W-I 845 has an NMTB-30 spindle which I'm fond of. Not sure what the differences are with the 860?

Cheers!
Jeff Pfeifer

My 860 is set up for an R8 in the vertical position and NMTB 40 in the horizontal.

WIM008.JPG

-Ron

My 860 is set up for an R8 in the vertical position and NMTB 40 in the horizontal.
-Ron

Wow that's interesting... Is there an outboard support for the arbor when setup as an hor mill? Just curious...

Thanks for sharing,
Jeff P

Wow that's interesting... Is there an outboard support for the arbor when setup as an hor mill? Just curious...

Thanks for sharing,
Jeff P

Yes there is. I didn't get one with the purchase of the mill but I called up Wells-Index with credit card in hand and they sent me a 90% casting (just needs to be bored/line-bored for the other end of the arbor). I'll be making a post looking for suggestions/help on it when I'm ready to tackle that little job. :eek:

-Ron

Yes there is. I didn't get one with the purchase of the mill but I called up Wells-Index with credit card in hand and they sent me a 90% casting (just needs to be bored/line-bored for the other end of the arbor). I'll be making a post looking for suggestions/help on it when I'm ready to tackle that little job. :eek:

-Ron

My 860 came with a finished outboard support. I guess that I could get it Blue Printed for you. I don't think the Horz. has ever been used.

Since I've found some other people with W-I's, does anyone know of a shaper attachment for one?

I also have a 860 Vert. Head for Sale. I think it's a NMTB 40 taper, Exc. Cond.( I can change the Spindle)

My 860 came with a finished outboard support. I guess that I could get it Blue Printed for you. I don't think the Horz. has ever been used.

Since I've found some other people with W-I's, does anyone know of a shaper attachment for one?

I also have a 860 Vert. Head for Sale. I think it's a NMTB 40 taper, Exc. Cond.( I can change the Spindle)

I don't know of any shaper (slotter?) attachments... but then I don't know all that much about my 845 yet. I've only had it powered up for about a year now via a Hitachi SJ100 VFD. Maybe a call to Rick Robinson over at wellsindex@aol.com will shed some light on this? I have a friend Doc who made a vertical slotter a few years back... I'm almost finished with a nice Smith & Mills 12" shaper (circa 1915) rebuild. Trying to sort out how to reverse the rotation of the old GE Repulsion-Induction motor.

Is your vertical 860 head a variable speed unit? Mine has a stepped pulley arrangement with a 2 hp motor...

Jeff P

Thanks for the offer but I think I'll be okay. W-I sent along a set of blue prints for the support along with it. I've got all the dimensions I need it's just a matter of getting it done.

I've never seen a taper attachment for one but that doesn't mean there isn't one out there or that someone couldn't make one (No, no, no, I won't put another project on my list of things to do... :nuts:). :LOL:

How about some pics of that head? I didn't think the verticals were available with a NMTB 40, that would sure be nice.

-Ron

Back