Wells 5M bandsaw

woodtickgreg

Active User
Registered
I made the drive from north of Detroit to east of Cleveland today to pick up a wells 5M bandsaw, 395 miles round trip. The saw is in great condition for it's age, no cooling but that's ok as it will be in an unheated garage and the coolant would just freeze. I can use spray or stick lubes if needed. This saw is a lot bigger than I thought it would be, I purchased it from a pic on ebay. The wells company is still in business in michigan. The saw was made in michigan, sold to a machinery dealer in Rhode Island, made it's way to Ohio, and now it's back home in Michigan. I will need to get a vfd for the say before I can power it up, but everything else is there and working, some rust but she will clean up. This thing is heavy, all cast iron and steel, took 4 men to get it out of the truck. Only thing I can find that is missing or damaged so far is a band wheel cover. I will either buy or make one. The saw cost me $525 plus a tank of gas. Much better saw than an import imo. The saw is only rated at 5" round but it looks like it will cut way bigger, the vise opens up really big, haven't measured it yet. Here's a few pics of it in my truck for scale, truck has a 6 1/2" bed.

metal-saw-001.jpgmetal-saw-002.jpgmetal-saw-003.jpgmetal-saw-004.jpg

metal-saw-001.jpg metal-saw-002.jpg metal-saw-003.jpg metal-saw-004.jpg

Very nice score. I take it you didn't have a saw already? Any resto plans?

I have been working on reviving a 1946 8M.
Wells has been great to work with.
And I believe asking fair prices for parts I cannot make.
More than I want to pay, but fair based on the market for those parts.

HF Wells saws have a great reputation!
Next week I'm hoping to stop by their shop in Kalamzoo MI pick up a motor, and get a shop tour.

First thing I did was put mine on wheels.
An under shelf with expanded metal now stores extra round drops.

Daryl
MN

Randy, a full restore is in it's future, probably next summer. This year I will get a vfd and power it up and use it to find out if it has any issues. And you are correct about I did not have a saw. I was just happy to find it, most saws like it go for much more money.

Daryl, this one is already on wheels in the rear, metal ones. The roll forming shop I drive a truck for has at least 6 wellsaw's and getting parts is no problem. I would rather pay to much for parts than not be able to get them.

Just a little update. I cleaned off the model and serial number tag with a rag and a little motor oil, It is clearly an 8m and not a 5m. That would explain the size of this thing, it was much larger than I thought it would be. So it looks like I got a 8 for the price of a 5, it's larger, heavier, takes a bigger cut if need be, and takes a wider blade as well, kinda cool.

Back