Well I've gathered stuff to practice scraping.

A perfectly good hand scraper can be made without any welding equipment and without any machinery at all, just hand tools. Your surface plate looks good from here, though it is hard to check it for millionths flatness by looking at the pics...

if you decide to 'scrap' :);) those Logan parts I can use them for other projects!:eek:

Yes, a green wheel will grind carbide, but it will need to be honed to finish it sharp and true. I know a fellow near here who has a small planer, from the 1800's, that is hand operated. It is tiny... He also has at least 5 more planers, up to BIG, a couple are from the 1860's, in beautiful original condition, and a lot of other really cool stuff!

I gotta wonder if that's my future self... Am I living in the woods with a big shop then?

Also, is it a bad sign when I caught myself trying to see if my mouse is hinging at about 30%?

Paul

If you think that's the way to go I'll try to get it. I see now there isn't a buy it now button. :(
It's your money... I would try to get a bit of exposure to the sport first. Let's work up a scraping day, come and visit, and try out a few different scrapers on some victims... Nobody wants to buy a car without taking it, or one like it, for a test drive. Length and width matter, so does flexibility. Some people use different techniques that require different handles. Sure, you can make most anything work, but something that feels comfortable, helps with accuracy, and makes you happy will go a long way toward making scraping enjoyable.

Back