Welding Tables?

Just as Talvare and RandyM have said, this doesn't need to be expensive to be very functional and HD relative to what you are going to purchase.
Also, check CL oftentimes there are used shop made welding tables listed at very affordable prices.
Sometimes you will be forced to take the Wilton or York vise that is bolted to the top.

ndnchf,
How does the disc brake under your vise work? Is it just to support/reinforce the corner of the table?

Daryl
MN

I have a presto electric/hydraulic lift table with a 50"x 50" rotating top. It raises from 10 to 50" high and takes care of most of my welding projects plus unloading of my truck.

If the only thing you'll be doing on that table is welding, it may work o.k. But, if you use a welding table as I do as well as many others, you'll be pounding, clamping, prying, twisting, bending, grinding, etc. on your welding table and a table that light just won't cut it. My table isn't anything fancy by a long shot. Just a 4'x4'x1/2" steel plate on some 4" steel pipe legs with a little angle/channel iron bracing that I made up from scrounged materials. If I were you, I'd check around at some of your local metal suppliers, salvage yards, metal recyclers, etc. and see if you can't find materials to make yourself a fairly heavy duty table. It shouldn't be that expensive, you'll have it for years and I think you'll be much happier. Besides, it will be a fun project to build with your new welder !

Ted

It will be a welding only table. I have a 36" x 60" x 2" thick maple butcher block table for the other stuff.

I found a source down here for AR500 plate where the sizes I wanted we for shooting range gongs. They were just going to charge me labor to cut to size. I bet they might have a piece of the some kind of plate that they consider waste.

Just as Talvare and RandyM have said, this doesn't need to be expensive to be very functional and HD relative to what you are going to purchase.
Also, check CL oftentimes there are used shop made welding tables listed at very affordable prices.
Sometimes you will be forced to take the Wilton or York vise that is bolted to the top.

ndnchf,
How does the disc brake under your vise work? Is it just to support/reinforce the corner of the table?

Daryl
MN

What is CL ? I have seen other folks mention it.

I also have a vise mounted to a brake rotor. Its heavy and stable to hold things, yet can be moved around as needed to get the right position.
I love it ! haha those used brake rotors have alot of good uses left in them . I have one sitting here waiting for a use ... never though of it for a vise , i'm sure it would make a nice stable base for many things .
They work great as a boat anchor too . I use them in the river and the reservoir too . They dig in and hold well ...and don't get stuck !

Great idea for the vise, I have one laying around. Now I know what I'm gonna do with it !

My workbench is an old Steelcase desk that I ripped the laminate off of. I put a 1/8" sheet of stainless on it. Not perfectly flat but it works well for welding. Plenty of drawers for tools and such. I have a pic of it somewhere...
Robert

9990074074_bbb0a83c3d_h.jpg

Here it is with the vise attached and my third arm for positioning:
27303210006_aac946f8aa_h.jpg

I don't weld super heavy stuff but you could easily put a heavier sheet of steel on this.
If you can find an old Steelcase they make great work benches. You can usually find them for a minimal cost.

Last edited:
One of my favorite accessories on my welding table is the receiver hitch that I use for a quick detach point for my vise, bender and third hand adjustable arm.

Back