Welding Table Question.

PaPa_Jack

Registered
Registered
I bought a welding table at an auction. It is 48" X 60" and 1 inch thick. It weighs about 800 pounds. Not bad for $100. My question is about drilling 5/8" holes in a pattern on 4" centers throughout at least half of the table. These would be great for making jigs on the table. Would a mag drill handle this? How many annular cuttyer do you think would be required. I figure about 72 holes in all.

Jack

1 cutter should do it if you treat it right

Mag drill should do the job just fine. Use pipe threading oil or similar while drilling to make your cutters last. Mike

This is all assuming the top is A36 or similar. Likely is, so you should be fine.

I agree with all answers. You might need a 2" long annular cutter to ensure breakthrough.

100 bucks!! What a deal!
Picture please.
For a welding or work table I like 3.5 to 4 inches overhang of the top so it's easy to clamp parts.
As to pre- drilling holes, they all two often aren't where you need them. I would just put holes where I knew they would be useful or as needed.
Holes near the edge are no problem to reach but those well inside the table can be a pain when your trying to hold parts,bolts, and place nuts.
What some have done is drill and tap for 3/8", 1/2" or 5/8" as needed and install set screws to keep the threads safe from splatter.
With a 1" top you wouldn't have to tap all the way through. So a stud could be inserted and it wouldn't screw out the bottom.
Just some options to consider.

The table already has a few 3/8" holes drilled in it a a couple of those are threaded. I wanted 5/8 inch holes so I can use, or make, Strong Hand accessories.

At the moment I cannot clamp to the edge. This table was used in an injection molding plant and they must have done a lot of drilling on it. They welded a heavy angle iron around the perimeter to form a trough. There are two drops underneath to drain liquids to buckets. I want to cut the troghs off the table, but that is going to take a lot of work. Even with a good torch, which I don't have.

Last edited:
YES
I have use a mag drill for drilling & tapping up to 3/4 NC in 3/4 plate works great
I just use drill bit for the holes

Dave

I bought a welding table at an auction. It is 48" X 60" and 1 inch thick. It weighs about 800 pounds. Not bad for $100. My question is about drilling 5/8" holes in a pattern on 4" centers throughout at least half of the table. These would be great for making jigs on the table. Would a mag drill handle this? How many annular cuttyer do you think would be required. I figure about 72 holes in all.

Jack

Ideal Speeds and Feeds will change some depending on if she is cast iron or steel.
Use a mag drill!

Daryl

I don't know what type of welding you do.
If you do much Shielded (arc/stick) welding then you might want to source some misc shaped pieces.
I don't mig. I do OA, TIG and Shielded. When I shield I use the misc pieces to protect my top from splatter.
Planning ahead will save future messes.

Daryl

Back