Welding Table Build

I think the play between the receiver and the 2" mount would drive me crazy, unless you have a way to stop it. Perhaps a bolt or two, with T or L handles added, threaded through the receiver to press against the mount and take out the play? One of the greatest attributes of a vise is that it holds things still while you file or center punch or saw or...

I think the play between the receiver and the 2" mount would drive me crazy, unless you have a way to stop it. Perhaps a bolt or two, with T or L handles added, threaded through the receiver to press against the mount and take out the play? One of the greatest attributes of a vise is that it holds things still while you file or center punch or saw or...

Agreed!
if you look closely, you can see a 3/4"nut welded to the receiver and a bolt is used to secure the jig or vise down. In fact there is a second nut welded 90º from the one visible. I would not advise using a "T" handle on a bolt if you want it tight, just use a wrench and be done.
I use receivers on workbenches as well. Its nice to have a full table with nothing in the way.
IMG_0717.JPG IMG_0718.JPG
Just a recommendation.
Peace,
Paco

Great, Paco. That is a good, quick change, and pretty rigid setup. Keeping tables clean is a great idea that I must learn someday... :(

Thanks for stopping by and commenting guys. I appreciate all the feedback. I think that I will definitely mount a couple of receivers - have seen a lot of great setups on the webs. My vise will be mounted tabletop but I'm sure I'll find uses for temporary mounted tools also.

Hurt my back a few weeks ago and have been taking it very easy so not much activity on the table but hopefully I will have some progress to share pretty soon.

I put receivers on anything I can when building from scratch. There is jus so much you can do with them. On my welding table, I use them for securing vises, ring roller, bender, etc.

To Bob's comment on the slack in the mount, a bolt to take up the excess slack is a necessity. I have done like Paco and drilled the receiver and installed a weld nut. I have used both plain bolts and T - handles. I prefer T-handles as it gives me something else to make and a tool free change out of the accessory. I put T-handles on lots of things for tool free change outs. If it is for something that I foresee not requiring max torque I use round bar for more ergonomics and aesthetics. For heavier duty uses, I use square bar so I can use an adjustable wrench to tweak the tightness if necessary.
IMG_5567.JPGIMG_5570.JPG

IMG_4617.JPG

Last edited:
It seems like a single bolt entering at a 45 degree angle from a corner of the receiver would be a good way to take the play out. A small 45 degree notch on the corner of the tool mount shank to mate with the end of the bolt would secure it in all three axes at once...

Man, that sucks about your back injurie.
A speedy recovery.

As for a single nut at a 45 degree that would work great for most applications.
When using a receiver on a workbench, it's imparative to keep the bolt as close as possible to avoid any hinderance while working seated.
Very handy upgrade imo.

very nice table, I am getting ready to build one hope it comes out as nice as yours. It will be my first big project,

After a bit of break I finally made some progress on the table.

Due to some other pressing projects (including the pending arrival of my mill and lathe next week :)) I postponed a couple of features that I originally planned to incorporate. I didn't mount receivers on the table and didn't add the onboard power. Fortunately both these will be easy adds in the future.

I did incorporate a built in tool box for storage, clamp racks, a grinder rack and under table storage. The casters are going to be great. Very stable when locked but easy mobility that I need in my small shop.

Not a lot of pictures as I wrapped up but here are a few. The logistics of maneuvering a project this size by myself was time consuming in itself. The last open item for now are four countersunk screws to keep the top from slipping - although I can't imagine that it would ever move on it's on! Hope to get that done tomorrow and will snap some photos of everything loaded up.

IMG_2416.JPG IMG_2420.JPG IMG_2421.JPG IMG_2500.JPG IMG_2501.JPG

Back