Welding Table Build

Catoctin - good to know. I have seen those but shied away because of the price and durability. I'll have to check out the amazon deal - $27 that's actually a little less than the price of three of the Norton BearTex (nonwoven) discs. They do a good job but they do load up if the material is in rough shape. I would think that would be the advantage of the bristle disc is it would be less likely to load.

The Amazon part number is 048011330549. If you search on the part number you will see the business side of the disc in a picture from another vendor. It looks like they are going for $24.84 today. You do need to keep the disc off of edges or a few of the bristles will come off. Jody at Welding Tips and Tricks seemed to like them so I though it was worth a try. I thought 36 grit might be too aggressive but it didn't seem that bad.

Looks nice. Going to be a serious table. You are not messing around!

What are you using for wire/gas etc?

I don't know if you are looking for feedback or not, but some of those welds look a touch on the cold side. Might wanna crank up the heat a bit. That is thick steel, takes a lot to really penetrate.

Looks good so far it's exactly the way I'd make mine. If I can ever get my projects caught up I will be building one too. I found a large piece of stainless steel on craigslist it had been from a table it's 5/8" x 34 x 80" with an extra 1/2 of aluminum frame around the bottom edge. Should be a great welding table. I hope.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Silverbullet - sounds like you've got a perfect start with that plate.

Abrace - definitely open for comments as I've only been welding a couple of years. I using MIG - E70s-6 .030 wire w/ C25 gas. I agree those aren't the hottest welds on the caster plates. I know you are supposed to weld based on the thicker metal but when I cranked it up much more it was really tough (at my skill level) to not blow through the 3/16. I did some testing with the BFHammer before I started and I think I'll get by with that on the caster plates.

Mark

Abrace - definitely open for comments as I've only been welding a couple of years. I using MIG - E70s-6 .030 wire w/ C25 gas. I agree those aren't the hottest welds on the caster plates. I know you are supposed to weld based on the thicker metal but when I cranked it up much more it was really tough (at my skill level) to not blow through the 3/16. I did some testing with the BFHammer before I started and I think I'll get by with that on the caster plates.
Mark

I am still learning too. It is a process, that is for sure.

While not a mechanical engineer, I don't think there will be too many stresses on those caster welds anyways. Only time they will be doing anything is when you are rolling the table around...otherwise they won't see any stresses.

I am not the best mig welder in the world, that is for sure. I have never taken a mig class...only Oxy/Acetylene, 2 Stick courses, and TIG.

Those specific welds looked like too much metal being deposited with too low of a voltage to me. Maybe your travel speed isn't fast enough and that is why you were burning through? Anyways, nothing like a good project to get practice...I can only run so many practice beads. There is nothing like the real thing to provide different scenarios and positions to get better.

That table is going to be serious business when it is done. I need to build a new one myself, so I will be keeping an eye on your project for ideas.

Oh, I meant to add one thing. When I do rebuild my table I will be welding some trailer hitch receiver tube to the underside of the table. It is not a standard 2 1/2" tube, so you can't use that. It is 2 1/2 .238 wall with the internal flash (weld) removed so it is smooth. Anyways, That will allow me to mount various attachments to the table like a vise, or even a grinder, and remove it whenever I want. You just make up some 2" solid steel, or 2" tube, with plate mounting plates welded on top and then they can slide right into the receiver. Gonna put a few mounts for this all over the table. I have seen a couple tables done that way and they are very handy. Thought I would mention it while you are still putting it together in case you are interested.

Last edited:
Wow, that will be an awesome welding table when it's finished! Stamp the date and your initials on it. It will last a lifetime, and beyond.

GG

Back