Welding Safety

On another note re welding safety, I really hope EVERYONE knows that chlorinated solvents (e.g. brake cleaner) and welding arcs is a LETHAL cocktail, even the UV radiated (never mind the spark and red/white heat) creates phosgene, a nasty war gas that almost took my grandpa - if you get even a whiff of new-mown grass while welding you probably need immediate medical attention :(

Dave H. (the other one)

Brake cleaner and welding = BAD fumes

Last edited:
I believe it is in those fancy safety glasses. On youtube, one of Dan Gelbert's videos he starts welding with only his eye glasses on after stating something like "The radiation that damages your eyes are the UV rays and these glasses are 100% UVA and UVB blocking."

Shocked me.

Thats quite shocking, he dosn't normaly come accross as a total idiot ;)

I had my hood on grind mode (stupidly) and i struck an arc, the yellow dots disapeared after about 5 minuits so yes the shade 4 and 100% uv block will stop you going blind from igniting an arc but safty glasses only?? Hummm.

I have some funny pics of welds that i think were mig welded by some idiot using the look away method, sorta wanted to say , "do you think thats why you missed all your welds?"

Stuart

I was shopping at Enco today and I was surprised to find safety glasses from uvex, I believe, that were for welding. I suspect they were just for accidental flash protection. I'm with you; I want more protection.

Steve Shannon, P.E.

Last edited:
I hate the spatter when I weld naked.....BUT I always have my welding bucket on :encourage:

Welding, and fring food are best done fully clothed! Period.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

Real men cook bacon naked, from the looks of the picture welding should be done that way too, guess I'm not a real man.

Back