Welding for beginner question

The OP mentioned a budget of $300, you are really going to be limited on your options but you might get a decent cracker box a/c welder for this money and perhaps if you are patient and watch local ads you may even find a good used ac/dc machine. MIG is one of the easiest processes to learn, but any of it can be learned with relative ease. If you can find something like the Lincoln Squarewave machine you can have stick and TIG capability with a foot or hand powered amptrol. Any "arc welding" machine is capable of doing TIG, within reason, but some are better suited for the task.

You mention welding miniature parts, TIG (GTAW) is definitely a more suitable process for this. Although MIG (GMAW/FCAW) works well for thin sheet metal, it is not a very precise process for minute items. Stick (SMAW) is probably the cheapest overall with initial start up cost and all you really have to worry with is electrodes for the consumables, which are readily available at many places such as auto parts stores and even Wal-Mart. (assuming the machine has the necessary stinger and ground leads and power cord)

All of these can weld relatively light materials and heavier material with multiple passes, however if you want to weld heavy material rapidly, you will want to consider something like submerged arc (SAW), but I doubt any hobbyist would consider this.

I happen to have the capability of all of the aforementioned processes including oxy/fuel welding and must say that I mainly use MIG 50% and split TIG and Stick for 49% with the other processes filling in the remaining 1%.

As mentioned, there is much info available on the web. I suggest researching as much as you can and make your choice based upon what you determine best suits your needs. One other thing is to visit some of your local welding suppliers and ask if they'll demo the machines they sale!

Good Luck with your projects!

Couple more thoughts here...

If you're really going to weld 1", stick or MIG can do that with multiple passes. (again, I'm not setup for MIG and don't know too much about it). If you go with stick, get an AC/DC machine. DC with stick makes a very good, smooth weld especially if you're using 7018 rod. It's like the difference between night and day. This summer, I made an industrial table for a marina boat yard with 1/2 and 3/4" angle iron. Most of it was overhead welding. Even with 5/32" rods, most of the welds required 4 passes.

If aluminum is involved, TIG is well suited for that. I TIG aluminum and stainless on a regular basis and you don't want a cheap TIG machine and you need to make sure it's DC and AC with adjustable frequency. I know you can MIG aluminum but I gather it's better to work on larger pieces. -Not sure about the machine requirements to MIG aluminum. Hopefully someone will chime-in.

++1 on the link to Weldingtipsandtricks. Jody Collier really knows his stuff!

One last thing. Welding is something that requires a fair amount of practice. Just because you stick 2 pieces of metal together, doesn't mean it won't come apart. You need to learn how to check and test your welds before doing something important.

For 300 dollars you are probably going to have to go with a stick welder. I think the most versitile of welders is definately tig. you can produce better welds and change from mild to stainless to aluminum rapidly. And all you need to buy is gas and rod. A mig machine you have to have a seperate roll of wire for each type of metal you are welding. Tig will produce the prettiest results as well. On the other hand if all you plan to weld is mild steel. mig would be the easyest to learn and your best bet. But if you only have 300 dollars do not be afraid to go with stick. it is a little bit harder to learn. and a little bit more work cleaning the slag but it can do a good job, with practice. It is best to get a DC machine but if you end up with an AC machine (not a 110 thing, a real welder) then you can buy 7018 AC rods that i think work almost as well as DC 7018 rods. Get help learning to weld, take a night course, of spend time with an experienced welder. I went to school for two years to learn to be a welder. You will not learn in two weeks.

thanks, this isn't making my decision any easier. So mig does mild steel but will it weld up free turning steel or the leaded type; the steel that's the easiest to turn? And cold rolled?

If I don't go mig, there's that long learning process that has to take place I take it. The guy in the video you posted the link to made it look like a cake walk with tig, stick, mig, btw, the puddles just looked grand

So maybe get the cheapest MIG from Lincoln, add some argon and then a few years later graduate to a tig? Might be a better plan?

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:
Dave,

Yes, MIG can weld virtually all steels. It can also do Aluminum if the machine has AC or certain forms of pulsed DC.

It is not advisable to weld leaded steel as you will end-up with several years of lead accumulation in your bones in a couple breaths. You absolutely should not weld galvanized metal or anything with zinc. It creates a white power that is pure zinc and 5-10 minutes of breathing that will put you in the hospital with dizzyness, blurry vision and convulsions. Welding is a wonderful thing but never forget you're playing with temperatures between 3000 and 5000 F.

There are many, many how-to books on the Net about welding. The first thing you need to pay attention to is the safety section or your going to end-up a winner of the Darwinian award. -Not trying to be a jerk here but it's time we had that talk...

Ray

thanks, this isn't making my decision any easier. So mig does mild steel but will it weld up free turning steel or the leaded type; the steel that's the easiest to turn? And cold rolled?

If I don't go mig, there's that long learning process that has to take place I take it. The guy in the video you posted the link to made it look like a cake walk with tig, stick, mig, btw, the puddles just looked grand

So maybe get the cheapest MIG from Lincoln, add some argon and then a few years later graduate to a tig? Might be a better plan?

Cheers

Dave

If I can add my two cents in here. When I welded for my first time it was my junior year in high school. The first process I used was oxy/act. If anyone asks me I honestly think that is the best way to learn. It's slower and hotter yes, but you can see the puddle, learn to make changes etc. I know that this isn't practical for everyone to learn off the get go. Heck even when I went to Hobart that's what they started you off on.

But if you are planning on welding 1.00 thick stuff, a 110v mig machine isn't going to do it. They are good for sheet metal and prefectly fine if you stay in the thinner stuff.

Also with mig if you want to weld heavy (3/4-1 stuff) the places I have worked it has been spray mig. Which requires different shielding gases bigger machines etc.

If you would stay with a name brand, Lincoln miller, and get one of the basic stick machines, get an AC/dc unit. It will serve you well hold its value decently and let you learn on the cheap. Heck if you look around you can find a Lincoln ideal arc pretty cheap and they are good welders. And on the thinner stuff they do make small rods. And plus with a stick machine you can attach start tig.But that's on down the road.

Also if you can take a class on it. If it is available close to you. Should expose you to all processes and it would let you figure out what you want.

Hope that helps,
Chris

Sorry you misunderstood me, I meant to say, if you only plan to weld one type of metal, Mig may be the way to go. Mig can weld most any metal but you have to change spools and or gas for each metal. And a little mig machine is great for sheet metal and light stuff. they do not burn through, but for heavier stuff you are going to need a much bigger mig welder. If i were you i would get a miller or lincoln stick welder and learn on that. BUT DO CONSIDER a stick welder will not do aluminum, (they make rod but it stinks) and the smoke from stainless rods are highly toxic. Start with a rod machine. and then when you are hooked you will need a small mig. a plasma torch, a big mig and a tig. Your wife will devorce you and take your dog, and your children will only come over when they need something fixed. Oh oh my red neck is showing again.
Do not feel bad you stuck the wire in the tip. Or if you stick the rod to the work. I have welded for decades and i still do that on occasion.

Have had good luck with DC stainless welding Mike. Did not know it was more toxic than 6013 or missile rod. I ran a 16" duct from an atticfan into the shop ceiling. I use it on with the roll up door cracked 4" when arc welding or painting.

I believe it is the chromium in the stainless that makes it really bad, however welding on any metal can be hazardous to your lungs so please remember to have a supply of fresh air as amply as possible when welding.

After learning OXY/ACET, then stick in high school, that was my regimen for 50 years, both at work and home, having to do 90% of my own machining related welding at work, and all of it at home. Even gathered a few job related stick certs. I'm now on my third job [2 months 'till retirement] since the economy went south, and this outfit is totally MIG. For me, difficult to learn. BUT, given a choice, were most or all of my welding 1/4" or less thick [thicker can be fixed with multiple passes], I would go with a good quality Mig setup, not flux core, but true MIG, the versatility and cleanliness is unbeatable. I've even got one at home now, a small one for little thin things.

Back