Welding Cart Build

Great project and well done video!

Nice job , how well dose it roll. Mines so DERN heavy it's hard to move and I don't have a steel top . I'm thinking about making a tugger for it.

Nice job , how well dose it roll. Mines so DERN heavy it's hard to move and I don't have a steel top . I'm thinking about making a tugger for it.
It rolls well enough but not as easily as I'd like. I only have to move it about 10 feet from its storage location in my shop out to the porch where I use it. Larger casters would roll easier but I used the 4" casters to limit the overall height, which is about 43" and that's a good welding height for me (I'm about 6' tall). It sounds high compared to a typical bench but this way I can work up close without straining my back. I wouldn't want it any higher though.

I just published a video of my new welding cart build:

It's mostly a combination of ideas from remove the zinothers in order to suit my own preferences and equipment. The video shows all the steps of construction, including an unplanned lesson on fire safety. :)

Great job & nicely designed. A tip on welding Zinc plated nuts: remove the zinc with hydrochloric acid & rinse well. The reaction produces hydrogen so a well ventilated area is desired. I store my hydrochloric outdoors since it causes "nastyness" on open metal surfaces in a confined space.

I just published a video of my new welding cart build:

It's mostly a combination of ideas from others in order to suit my own preferences and equipment. The video shows all the steps of construction, including an unplanned lesson on fire safety. :)
I hope you do more video's. Your instruction, your voice, project prep, and more makes for a great video !

Great job & nicely designed. A tip on welding Zinc plated nuts: remove the zinc with hydrochloric acid & rinse well. The reaction produces hydrogen so a well ventilated area is desired. I store my hydrochloric outdoors since it causes "nastyness" on open metal surfaces in a confined space.
Thanks for the tip; I used HCl for the mill scale but didn't think about it for zinc. I have the acid diluted 3:1 in a 5 gallon bucket outside and I found a lid that snaps on and has a gasketed threaded cover, so it converts the bucket into an easy-open sealed screw-top container. It seals pretty well but I still wouldn't store it indoors.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm having fun with the videos and I'll make more. My next project is building a steel dragon...

It rolls well enough but not as easily as I'd like. I only have to move it about 10 feet from its storage location in my shop out to the porch where I use it. Larger casters would roll easier but I used the 4" casters to limit the overall height, which is about 43" and that's a good welding height for me (I'm about 6' tall). It sounds high compared to a typical bench but this way I can work up close without straining my back. I wouldn't want it any higher though.
Not to high when I was able to work standing it would be perfect. I'm 6'4" tall but now in a wheelchair I'm about 5' . My welding carts about three ft square and forty inches high. Has a full length shelf but the tops separated in the middle ,tank for aluminum stands there and tray for tidbits, my esab plasma cutters over the one end and Clarke mig spool gun on the other. But I thought with big wheels 10" under the plasma and 4" swivel caster on the other. But it moves like I'm dragging two tons. No heavy plate aluminum diamond plate on top ends and wood on shelf.

Back