Welding/Brazing Cast Aluminum

Here's the piece, it has a break on both sides in the same area, basically weld failure.

I'm buying an old Lincoln stick welder (Tombstone) for $40 Monday so I may try the aluminum stick welding rod on it.

art repair.JPG

Have you stick welded aluminum before?

Looking at the piece i think the aluminum stick welding wire would do would work as quick tack welds are what it looks like you need to fix it. It is not a good way to weld aluminum but for tacking it works and might be the cheapest way. You need a friend with a stick welder to let you use it for ten minutes sound like a six pack trade to me.

Bob

Have you stick welded aluminum before?

No I have not, I have not even used a stick welder since high school.

Looking at the piece i think the aluminum stick welding wire would do would work as quick tack welds are what it looks like you need to fix it. It is not a good way to weld aluminum but for tacking it works and might be the cheapest way. You need a friend with a stick welder to let you use it for ten minutes sound like a six pack trade to me.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I was only gonna tack it and then tack the others also from beneath. I'm buying a stick welder Monday for $40 old Lincoln tombstone. Let's see, $40 for welder + $$$ for rod - $15 for the job = no wonder I'm always broke :thinking::nuts::lmao:

Charlie,

My first welders was a sears craftsman then i got and AC-DC lincoln tombstone. AC-DC or just AC those lincolns are just good to have around. Lincoln has some arc welding project books that have great plans for useful things to make. I'm sure you find lots of uses for the welder.

good luck Bob

Charlie,

My first welders was a sears craftsman then i got and AC-DC lincoln tombstone. AC-DC or just AC those lincolns are just good to have around. Lincoln has some arc welding project books that have great plans for useful things to make. I'm sure you find lots of uses for the welder.

good luck Bob

I'm sure this one is just an AC welder but for $40 I think it's a deal. Gonna have to do some practicing. Stupid me bought a tig/stick welder for $75.00 about 4 years ago, it was in non working condition (I knew that when buying) but had brand new stick stinger and cables/copper clamp. I got some stick & it would barely arc so wanting to recoup my money I scrapped the guts and cable and used the cabinet for my mig welder cart, then I met my buddy Benny who has a buddy that could have fixed it.:eek:uch::banghead:

Back