Welding Aluminum With Gasless Flux Core Dose Work???

Smithdoor

Active User
Registered
icon2.png
Has any one ever try welding aluminum with gasless flux core
The only welding I have ever did in aluminum is with mig or torch
This looks good on paper but well it work in shop and how well:sherlock::pickaxe:

Dave

I have only seen adds on welders using FCAW for AL. This may a hoax by MFG of the welder

You can get aluminium welding electrode for stick welders so I don't see why you shouldn't be able to get a flux core electrode. But I think you would still need an AC power supply. DC doesn't work for aluminum welding - well not unless you have a very hi-tech welding machine (at work we had a subcontractor come in and their assemble team used DC MIG aluminum welding but it wasn't you standard DC MIG power supply, looked very expensive)

If it works for stick welders and torch I would think would work for FCAW

FYI
I do use the torch rod in my shop

Dave

Stick rod http://www.weldingwire.com/Images/Interior/documentlibrary/aluminum 345.pdf
Torch rod http://www.weldingwire.com/products...ng-Alloys/FLUXCORED-ALUMINUM-OXYACETYLENE-ROD

You can get aluminium welding electrode for stick welders so I don't see why you shouldn't be able to get a flux core electrode. But I think you would still need an AC power supply. DC doesn't work for aluminum welding - well not unless you have a very hi-tech welding machine (at work we had a subcontractor come in and their assemble team used DC MIG aluminum welding but it wasn't you standard DC MIG power supply, looked very expensive)

I have used stick and oxy/acet on aluminum with varying results my Lincoln mig 110 supply with spool gun is ok on thin material but the 220 machines are great for heavy material. Mig on aluminum is done with ( dcep) direct current electrode positive, mig machines with pluse settings are great for thin material and position work. I haven't used or seen cored al mig wire, would be great if it worked.

You can absolutely gmaw aluminum with a simple cv dc power source with ar/ar-he shielding gas including small 110v mig machines. This is why the small migs such as a Millermatic 141 are set up for the low end spool guns. A spool gun or a push-pull gun is necessary to feed correctly. There are aluminum feeding kits available to feed thru standard guns but aluminum doesn't have the column strength to be pushed that far correctly. In short those kits suck. I'm not aware of any quality fcaw aluminum wire.

Love this site you learn so much - I stand corrected, I had always thought you needed AC to weld aluminium, that is obviously not true.

Back