Welcome to samthedog's shop - warning... LOTS of pics

Well I have been very fortunate as it turns out. Much of my equipment was purchased from a machine dealer who buys from liquidation auctions and ends up with crates of "junk". I have bought a huge amount from them at very low prices and it turns out that they will be stopping this side of their business. They will now only focus on machines and will no longer store or sell the small accessories.

I have been lucky with timing as I now have nearly all the metal working equipment I forsee needing in the immediate to mid term.

Paul.

I really like your shop tools and you have them very well organized---I am twice your age and still haven't got my shop machines all in the shop----- and they are definitely not well organized yet-----my problem also is having such a big supply of neat resources that takes up a lot of space---my shop is a confused mess now but next year I hope to have more expenses for installing 220 wiring to my shops for my welders and big air compressor and all the 220 machines----it has really been a disadvantage to do without these tools for 4 years now---anyway, I have really enjoyed looking at your perfect shop and machines----Dave

I really like your shop tools and you have them very well organized---I am twice your age and still haven't got my shop machines all in the shop----- and they are definitely not well organized yet-----my problem also is having such a big supply of neat resources that takes up a lot of space---my shop is a confused mess now but next year I hope to have more expenses for installing 220 wiring to my shops for my welders and big air compressor and all the 220 machines----it has really been a disadvantage to do without these tools for 4 years now---anyway, I have really enjoyed looking at your perfect shop and machines----Dave

Thanks Dave. Organizing a shop is half the battle. It takes time and effort and needs to be re-organized after every project. A big factor is having cleaning equipment like vacuum cleaners, brooms, brushes and dust pans available throughout the work space. Every time I make a mess, I need to clean it otherwise it grows out of control.

My dad is a hoarder and I have promised myself I won't go down that road. I convince myself that space is more valuable than an assortment of machines I may never use I have only kept the essentials for repairing old machines and fabricating parts. I have also made a rule where I do not exceed 600 KG for any machine. This is the limit of my trailer and what I can safely lift with my pallet jack. If I exceed this weight limit, I will not be able to sell the machine on or move it at my convenience easily and this would complicate the workshop area.

When organizing the space and placement of machines, I have tried to apply the magic triangle rule used in kitchen design. In kitchens you want to have the refrigerator, stove and bench within close proximity - in the workshop I made this the mill, lathe and bench. I have also tried to eliminate the number of items stored out of sight in boxes. This was to reduce the risk of items rusting un noticed. This is why I spent a significant amount of money and time organizing hand tools on toolboards and my tool trolley.

I would love a larger space but this small area has forced me to be brutal with my decision making as to which tools to keep. This has been a chief reason why I have flipped so many items and upgraded. I like different tools and upgrades like every other red-blooded bloke, I just have to make a decision that when I have 2, which is the better one that I will be keeping.

Paul.

Well folks, I have a couple new editions to the machine shop and it has become an untidy mess now. My wife and I are considering moving back to Australia so I will need to ship my workshop back. This will cost a decent chunk of money but I don't want to give up the machines. Depending on where we move to, the machines may have to reside in a shipping container for up to a year. I am really not keen on the idea as this is how many great machines have ended up as rusted heaps.

Any advice on how to keep the machines protected over an extended storage time in a shipping container?

Paul.

Paul,
What a bummer that you have to pack up and relocate your shop. I would dread the idea. Good luck with your venture.
Bob

Very nicely done, sorry too about the move.

the other Sam

Paul,

This is a very nicely organized shop. Sorry to hear that you will need to move everything, but I am sure that you will get the new place up and organized in no time. Very clean and bright place to work in. Good luck..

Paul

Very cool shop Paul. I envy the choice of equipment you can get from Sweden: you folks i Østlandet can score the best deals :)

Very cool shop Paul. I envy the choice of equipment you can get from Sweden: you folks i Østlandet can score the best deals :)

True, however you guys on the west coast have Stavanger where the rich people basically give their machines away :))

I have seen so many nice machines on Finn that have been for sale in Stavanger for ridiculously low prices.

But you are right, we are spoiled!

Paul.

Hello there Sam
Came across this thread accidentally, whilst looking for something totally different.
Been following Your own web site and from when U acquired Your Chippy, refurb'ed Your Bandsaw etc etc
Took U all this while to get so well stocked and organised - what a neat setup. Just beautiful, Man.
And now U say U Guys are literally packing up and going back home !!!???
Don't make sense to us oldies, but U know Your reasons
Still have my Chippy, with practically nothing attempted thereon. Just don't have the guts to tackle this project, 'cos we don't think we have the know how like U.
Was good looking at Your splendid shop.
Your mind set makes a lot of sense which we have overlooked.
Never too old to learn.
Keep in touch and all the best
aRM

Back