• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Weiss Machinery ???

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

jeff_g1137

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Hi
When i was looking in to a lathe from china, it was one of the better ones, there is 2-3 that import them into the UK.
It was 2-3 years ago & a lot can change in that time. I think some of the lathe PM imports are Weiss but i may be wrong.
It may have import costs ???
jeff

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
German names, Chinese machinery. Oh, well, I guess I would do the same.

My lathe is from "Kent USA" (Also made in China. You have to go to the label mounted on the back of the machine to know that)

mksj

Active User
Weiss is a distributor of machines from multiple sources as opposed to a manufacturer from what I was told a while back. You will often see a manufacturer with rows of different colored and badged machines all basically the same model distended for different distributors. The specs may be vendor specific. Weiss for a period of time had a US distribution center, seems to come and go. This is there current site http://www.weiss-us.com/index.php?route=common/home

The pictures seem the same as those used on eBay, but the link you provided ships from China. So if you have any problems or issues, it is highly unlikely you will have any support. As already mentioned, you may get dinged for import fees and who know what else.

Eisen has been around for a long time, has an assortment of nice machines that seem similar to those supplied by other US distributors. So for the 1236, this is pretty much the same as the one sold here. http://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-1236-t/

Each distributor may have different specs, so they may look the same and yet be different. So I would look for a machine that fits your needs, has good customer support/reviews and parts will be available down the line. The 1236GT and 1340GT are very similar, the design has been around for a long time and they are quality lathes.

Nogoingback

Weiss has an authorized distributor in Vacaville CA (near the SF Bay Area): DRO Pros

If you look at the SF Bay Craigslist and checks for lathes, they have a listing.

outsider347

Active User
Thanks Gents, for taking the time to reply to a probably many times asked questions
This is a major purchase for me....trying to research as best I can
Looking like the PM 1236 will soon have a new home in my shop

Alan H

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Thanks Gents, for taking the time to reply to a probably many times asked questions
This is a major purchase for me....trying to research as best I can
Looking like the PM 1236 will soon have a new home in my shop
Good choice and an excellent supplier!

[6]
5 [7]