VN Weird Vn Horizontal Mill On Ebay

With a DuPont rebuild that would be a sharp looking machine. (Only Hobbyist use?) how does the seller know it was used for 50 years ago? Just me being suspicious.

With a DuPont rebuild that would be a sharp looking machine. (Only Hobbyist use?) how does the seller know it was used for 50 years ago? Just me being suspicious.
My thoughts exactly. It was in a hobby shop in its final setting, perhaps. It is a production machine with no power feeds visible, no idea what model it is. The horizontal handle in front of the table is a lever for moving the table left and right, no cranks. Machines like this were used in mass production, typically did just one operation to each of a whole bunch of parts. Probably pretty boring, but it was a job. The seller has positioned himself so there will be no refunds if the motor turns, doesn't matter what the rest of the machine is like. I would never buy a machine from Ebay or anywhere else that I did not look at in person, see it run, and put it through its paces and make some chips. Neat old mill, but a lot of those machines are worth about a hundred dollars a ton for scrap metal. This one doesn't weigh nearly that much. Then again, someone might want to put a lot of work into restoring the old girl, though for what purpose I have no idea. YMMV.

Hobby use? Only if "hobby" means "sweatshop".
I own one of these -- it's a Nichols, not a VN, it's the same machine with an exposed motor -- and I've run one very much like it.
The horizontal handle in front of the table is a lever for moving the table left and right, no cranks. Machines like this were used in mass production, typically did just one operation to each of a whole bunch of parts. Probably pretty boring, but it was a job.
+1 nail on head. The wooden handle moves the table a foot or more in 180deg of swing. So this is kind of like a skillsaw. There is always a mill fixture to hold the parts and the parts are seldom run one at a time, usually a gang of parts. Load up parts; swing the handle; chips fly everywhere; swing the handle back; unload parts; repeat. All mine were aluminum. Hundreds of parts in an 8 hour shift. If it sounds like a galley slave job, you'd be about right.

Now why would i own one? Well, first i got it cheap. Second, I'll be doing the sorts of jobs this is designed for. Like cutting down .223 brass to .300aac length 20 at a time. Stuff like that. Haven't run the first load yet but that's the plan. The other thing this is good for is stuff like key slots or similar vertical slotting because the whole head will plunge to depth using the upper handle.

On mine, there's a double stem near the wooden handle. (My wooden handle is long since gone.) One stem is for the quicky function like we just discussed. The other is a genuine X axis crank. There's a little bolted fitting under the table to engage/disengage the pinion from the X axis screw. In that config, it's just a strangely small, hand-crank, horizontal, with a single T-slot and plunging head.

The other thing i wanted to do to mine is make a surface grinder of it. The overarm comes out easy. Was gonna mount a motor and wheel there. Mine has coolant sump so all i'd need is a splash shield and it would grind things "flat". Not reference flat of course, but flat-ish. So no, i wouldn't go crazy on the setup and building of it, but i think it'd be handy to have.

Anyway, lots of imaginative potential. These are good production machines for the kind of slasher jobs you might imagine. In machine-rich Ohio, I don't see it worth $1K, but out here in flyover country, sure, a guy could get a kilobuck of use out of one, IMO.

Wrat

Yep, it's a VN hand mill, maybe a VN 6?? precursor to a VN 1/2. Common to the early days of VN if I remember correctly. There was a similar one for sale in Pa a month ago. There are some guys on here that know VN's real well. Maybe they can describe it in more detail.

Postscript: just checked, I think it is a VN 2, not a 6...

Last edited:
I would never buy a machine from Ebay or anywhere else that I did not look at in person, see it run, and put it through its paces and make some chips.

Agreed!!
Well, unless a local HM was willing to scout the machine and provide an assessment.

Daryl
MN

My thoughts exactly. It was in a hobby shop in its final setting, perhaps. It is a production machine with no power feeds visible, no idea what model it is. The horizontal handle in front of the table is a lever for moving the table left and right, no cranks. Machines like this were used in mass production, typically did just one operation to each of a whole bunch of parts. Probably pretty boring, but it was a job.

I have an old Garvin horizontal mill I bought off of a very knowledgeable guy. He told me the same thing about the levers.

<---------

PS I just noticed some sadistic bastid jammed a candy cane into my skull.

Yep, it's aN honest to god VN hand mill, maybe a VN 6?? precursor to a VN 1/2. Common to the early days of VN if I remember correctly. There was a similar one for sale in Pa a month ago. There are some guys on here that know VN's real well. Maybe they can describe it in more detail.

Postscript: just checked, I think it is a VN 2, not a 6...
I've got a Van Norman catalog from about 1940 that shows it. It's not a No. 2; unlike all the other machine it does not have a number. It's simply called a "Van Norman Hand-Miller" (see also the cover shown in the second picture, below). The catalog shows the spindle taper to be NMTB 40. The table feed handle could also be attached to the back of the table if needed.

I'm inserting the photos so that hopefully they will stay on HM once the auction ends.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Back