Webster Hone

dave enrico

Registered
Registered
ive gor a chance to buy a webster hone really cheap,havent found much info yet,it only comes with 2 mandrels,is this a descent machine are mandrels available,is it worth getting involved in, thanks dave

Is this the one ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunnen-Webs...:g:NbYAAOSwLnBX6C3G&item=131983619562&vxp=mtr
I did a quick check and I couldn't find if Webster is still in business , I wonder if Sunnen mandrels will fit ? Back when I had my Sunnen I was spending a lot of money on mandrels and stones . But what a cool machine it was . Not to mention the fact that I needed a ton of Del Tronics and tri mics . I would say go for it , at least if you can find a good source of mandrels and stones . WCGW ! (what could go wrong)

As usual, the tool-up is where the money is. I am not familiar with Webster, but I am very familiar with Sunnen, Stuff isn't cheap, but it is good. If you need a hone, there is no substitute, but if you don't, it will just gather dust. I'd think it through on what I'd use it for, and how much the cost of set up is. In my shop, I wouldn't have much use for one, and have no interest in getting one. But, it's your shop and your money.:)

The Webster hone looks almost like the Superior hone as for the spindle hookup for the mandrels. Don't know if there is even an connection between the two. I had a Sunnen automotive hone I bought for a song in my younger years. Bought a few of the high dollar mandrels for it for some of the jobs I did back then. After that, it collected dust until my brother sold it when we closed down dad's shop. Haven't missed it yet!

yes that is the hone,its about an hour from me,ive been looking for a sunnen but havent found one in my price rangs
i restore antique cars and motorcycles and the hone would come in handy more for the bikes than the cars dave

For that price you can't go wrong. Should get some use out of it. And you can keep watching for the sunnen in case one comes along for a good price.
I wanted a sunnen for along time. missed one at an auction once, the whole machine and a large cabinet full of stones and mandrels went for $75.00 ....Been kicking myself for years for missing out on that.

Sunnen mandrels will not directly fit that hone as is. Will require some kind of adapter, which I don't believe is out of the question.

Back