We need a discussion here. Carbide Inserts/Terminology

You can use inserted tip carbide on a small lathe for external turning but you need to pay close attention to the nose radius on the cutter and use it to determine depth of cut and feed rates. I agree that the rigidity, speed and power of the littler lathes is a major limiting factor and that HSS is a far better choice.

For boring, inserted carbide tooling works great on a small lathe if you have the right tool and insert geometry, and use a nose radius your lathe can handle. HSS-Co tools are great for shallower holes but when you need to go deep then a carbide bar with an insert your lathe can handle works really well.

Brazed carbide tooling works nicely on small lathes for external turning, not as well for boring. These tools have little or no nose radius, though one can be put on. My lathe can't go fast enough to get really good finishes with these tools but they will rough nicely and are surprisingly durable. If interrupted cuts is an issue then brazed carbide, especially C2, is an option.

another carbide question - those 40-60 double countersink screws

I've got another carbide-related question. If the fourth letter of the insert descriptor is T (or U or W), then the insert is hole-mounted with a 40[SUP]o[/SUP]-60[SUP]o[/SUP] double countersink screw.
Those screws are ridiculously priced (i.m.h.o.). Are there standard dimensions for those screws, so I can cut my own?

Yeah, there is nothing quite like an 18 character code to clarify things:think1:

Back