Ways to measure holes center to center?

Here's the 13" Sorenson I picked up off eBay for $50 plus shipping. Pretty happy with the mike, hit the same 11.000" every time on the standard. Daryl, thanks again for the tip!

Bruce

20170623_140900.jpg

Daryl, I suggest you just ask Dennis, your scraping instructor

If the holes are the same diameter, may I suggest merely measuring left-edge to left-edge or right-edge to right-edge?

After reading about the Sorenson Center Mike I knew I had to have one (It regularly made me crazy to try to accurately find the distance between two holes). All I can say is that the Center Mike is slicker than boiled owl snot. Wow. What it does is measures the near distance and the far distance, mechanically adds them together and divides by two, which is the indication on the Vernier. Takes 10 seconds and indicates to 0.001

They sell on eBay very reasonably and if you ever need to measure hole center-to-center distances this will become your go-to tool.

Stu

gr8legs,
Which length Sorenson did you purchase?
I've wondered if there is any advantage with the little one. They appear to function the same.

Daryl
MN

Pretty sure the function is the same regardless of size. The vernier scale is double-sized; 1.000" measured is 2.000" on the Sorenson scale. Pretty simple (but ingenious) device. Start with the LH side at 0.000", measure the distance between the holes on the inside (or outside would work too, just have to do the opposite on the second measurement). Then slide the LH stop from zero to the RH which now starts your next measurement at "where you left off". Do the 2nd measurement and because the scale on the Sorenson is 2X, you are reading the total of the inside and outside dimensions divided by two. Pure genius!

Bruce

I purchased the 8" version and liked it so much (and besides that, I'm a tool junkie) I just eBay'd a 13" one plus the measurement extension bars.

It's a horrible addiction with no 12-step program. Luckily, this site serves as a support group - the only difference being it's a cheering section :)

Stu

If you get a chance, I'm looking forward to hearing about how the extension bars work for you.
My projects tend to be on a larger scale.

Thank you,
Daryl
MN

If you get a chance, I'm looking forward to hearing about how the extension bars work for you.
My projects tend to be on a larger scale.

For Daryl and anyone else interested:

The "Booster Bars"arrived yesterday along with a 13" Center-Mike from another eBay seller and I tried them out.

First and most important, these extensions only work with the 13" version of the Center-Mike. They extend the 13" range up to 22 inches center-to-center. Sorensen was clever in providing a full-range of measurements but you had to have both the 8" and 13" basic versions to get the 0.25" to 22" range.

<edit> No, that's not right . . . The 8" will measure 0.25" - 8" and the 13" will measure 0.25" to 13" . . .duh! But the extensions do only work with the 13" </edit>

I'm happy with my purchase - another tool! Woo hoo!

Stu

Last edited:
That's great information. Huge thanks!

Daryl
MN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back