Ways oil, type

D

Douglasr

Forum Guest
Register Today
I am using 3 in 1 oil for my ways. Is this the right choice?

Not really, as it is too light of an oil for that purpose. Way oil is commercially available through most machine supply houses such as Enco, Travers Tool, MSC, etc. Way oil comes in a couple of different viscosities. I use Mobil #2 way oil on my lathe and my mill.

Way oil is thicker than three in one oil, and will remain in place on the ways much better as well.

Enco has Vactra 2 in 5 gallon bucket for $85 with free shipping using promo code DEC49. You make the $49 free shipping minimum other ways if you only wanted 1 gallon.

Dave

Enco has Vactra 2 in 5 gallon bucket for $85 with free shipping using promo code DEC49. You make the $49 free shipping minimum other ways if you only wanted 1 gallon.

Dave
Or you could buy some other different goodies to make free shipping.:))

Enco also has Vactra 2 in 1 Gal currently $18 and yes you can surely find enough stuff to add up to the $49 for free shipping. Maybe add add some spindle oil like Velocite No 10 $23.98 Gal and maybe some cutting fluid. At least in my home shop 5 gals of way oil would last me a couple of lifetimes. I haven't made a dent in the 1 gallon I bought 3 year ago.

ENCO Catalog page for way and spindle oil:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=954&PMITEM=505-2002

It's worth mentioning that for vertical ways, Vactra #4 is most desirable. I tend to use #4 on both horizontal and vertical ways and only use #2 in the really cold seasons.

Ray

In a pinch, you could use chain saw bar oil or 30 weight motor oil with some STP added. Not ideal, but either will stay put and lubricate better than 3in1 oil and both are easily found and available in quarts. The chain saw bar oil is formulated to "stick" to the chain and not get thrown off when the saw is running and has a high pressure additive to lubricate under some pretty tough conditions. If you use the STP and oil, it doesn't take too much STP to start getting the oil pretty sticky - start with about 4 or 5 parts oil to one part STP. Add more STP if you want it to be thicker, less, if you want it thinner. I'm sure neither of these is as good as the real thing.

Add me to the Vactra crowd. Cheap, available and designed for the application.

Back