Way Wipers

I purchased a sheet of felt from McMaster Carr and made new wipers for my lathe. I didnt consider rubber but will next time.

That looks like a good option. My wipers are toast, and the only guy I found willing to make a set 3d prints them. I'm not sure how great they are, there is no labyrinth to the seal and I am not sure about the plastics. And he need me to make cad files, which means a lot of time up front.

What do people normally do about replacing wipers when no wipers are available? It would be easy to do felt sheet, but I don't want the wear and I feel like we're past that with rubber wipers now. This spanish strip seal material looks great, but somehow smells of high cost. Hobby, not commercial, so I don't have plans to write off expenses. My machines make anything but money.
I am in the process of cleaning and painting two Enco lathes in my home shop and also looking for material for the way wipers. Both machines have plastic wipers, I am considering putting a piece of felt between the plastic cover and machine. Mcmaster offers felt in different grades hard to soft. Has anyone used this and what grade is typically used?

I am in the process of cleaning and painting two Enco lathes in my home shop and also looking for material for the way wipers. Both machines have plastic wipers, I am considering putting a piece of felt between the plastic cover and machine. Mcmaster offers felt in different grades hard to soft. Has anyone used this and what grade is typically used?

My concern with felt would be chips embedding into it.

The felt is a perfect mechanism to apply oil. I oil my felt all the time. I would not be concerned with embedded particles. Also, if you are still going to use the plastic as wipers you are pre-cleaning your ways in front of the felt thus reducing the risk of embedded particles. Many machines were originally made brand new with felt wipers. I think as a lubrication mechanism you are adding a good feature to the machine.

According to the link you provided, the higher the wool content, the better the vibration absorption and abrasion resistance. With that being said, I don't think vibration absorption is a consideration for your application. Abrasion resistance just means it will wear better (last longer) with the higher wool percentages. I think you can choose any of the felts listed and not worry about it.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I just bought a sheet of felt from McMaster to cut new way wipers for my Excello mill. I bought part number 8334K31 which is F1 firm, 1/8 inch thick. As far as I can tell this seems to be the same grade of felt or very similar to the precut felts in the Ilion kit for my South Bend lathe.
John

I just bought a sheet of felt from McMaster to cut new way wipers for my Excello mill. I bought part number 8334K31 which is F1 firm, 1/8 inch thick. As far as I can tell this seems to be the same grade of felt or very similar to the precut felts in the Ilion kit for my South Bend lathe.
John
I ordered a 10' x 1.5" F3 strip which will do both of my lathes. McMaster is great, short delivery times and usually have what you are looking for. Buttttt. I am going the call them in the am to see if I am submitting my orders correctly. Being a hobbiest my orders will include several items in small quantiles. They will sometimes ship in multiple boxes incurring charges for each when they might have shipped in one envelope. This order totaled $31.79 and $20.25 for shipping...

If all the items are not in the same facility they will ship from multiple locations. I check the cart after adding each item. If the item causes the shipping charge to double (and it's not a really large or heavy item) then it may be shipping from another warehouse. If I decide it's not worth it, I delete that item and maybe figure out something else.

I have used the gray felt for my wipers, I bought several thicknesses for different uses. The LeBlond 15" Regal has ball oilers on the wiper housing from the factory. I think I bought mine from Zoro.com (Grainger)

Back