Way wiper cover issues on bport clone

D.sebens

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Well I’ve made lots of progress on cleaning and adjusting the hartford mill. It was missing the rear wiper cover (was probably broken from the gib). I removed the knee and saddle. I figured I was smarter than the average bear and put the front wiper cover on the rear and ordered a new one. This allowed me to reassemble the knee table and saddle.

Fast forward to today. I go to put the new wiper cover on the front and the holes don’t line it! They are close but no cigar. I think well at least it’s not the rear one. I go to install the felts and realize that the holes on the rear don’t line up with the front cover either!!

Trying to decide what to do I removed the knee stop bolt and that allowed me to raise the knee high enough to remove the wiper cover. After placing the new one on the back I can confirm it doesn’t fit there either! The back looks like I have enough to drill and tap new holes. The downside is that it’s too close to the ways to do while installed.
It’s not hard to remove the table and saddle but it stings a little to have to remove it for a simple thing!

Little rant over.

Attachments

• IMG_2282.jpeg
    IMG_2282.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2283.jpeg
    IMG_2283.jpeg
    472.9 KB · Views: 15
Well I’ve made lots of progress on cleaning and adjusting the hartford mill. It was missing the rear wiper cover (was probably broken from the gib). I removed the knee and saddle. I figured I was smarter than the average bear and put the front wiper cover on the rear and ordered a new one. This allowed me to reassemble the knee table and saddle.

Fast forward to today. I go to put the new wiper cover on the front and the holes don’t line it! They are close but no cigar. I think well at least it’s not the rear one. I go to install the felts and realize that the holes on the rear don’t line up with the front cover either!!

Trying to decide what to do I removed the knee stop bolt and that allowed me to raise the knee high enough to remove the wiper cover. After placing the new one on the back I can confirm it doesn’t fit there either! The back looks like I have enough to drill and tap new holes. The downside is that it’s too close to the ways to do while installed.
It’s not hard to remove the table and saddle but it stings a little to have to remove it for a simple thing!

Little rant over.
Re- drill the cover?

John

The only problem is that it would overlap the chamfer on the new one. Also since I don’t have one that fits there I’d be afraid I’ll miss measure. I work better with practical layout marks.

But my main reason is the taper overlapping the hole.

Well, as far as doing the lay-out marks, that is easily solved by screwing short pointed studs into the existing holes on the saddle, place the wiper cover against the points and tap lightly with a hammer. This will provide you with accurate punch marks for drilling. As for the overlapping problem, you may consider just making a new wiper cover. Doesn't look like it would be too difficult to make. Just food for thought.
Ted

Back