Way oils, what is still available. What would be good for an old style lathe.

If you can get 5 gallons of Vactra 2 from Enco for $85 with free shipping why pay $37 for 1 gallon of ISO 68? I know it's a lot but only a few years worth or am I using too much?

Dave
Nope pour it on ,oils cheap ron

After reading all of the post I have to say something, probably should’nt But.
All of the talk of dirt or what ever in suspension is bull crap. In something with a pump or crankshaft mixing it up yes. We’re talking putting oil on lathe ways! Unless your running your lathe for hours on end chips ,dust,cast iron is on top. And no when turning cast iron I don’t cover the ways. Oil before clean and oil after. It will still be going with no noticeable wear well after i’m Gone
Thanks ron

I have been using Rotella 15w40 diesel oil on the ways since I can remember. If an oil is recommended for an expensive automotive engine then it is certainly good enough for my lathe.

Internal combustion engines produce byproducts of heat and combustion. They do not produce metal particles that need to be filtered out. If they did it would not be for long. My lathe does not produce byproducts of fuel combustion nor any metal particles other than chips so it does not need some of the additives in engine oil. That does not mean that engine oil will harm the lathe.

The only issue I have is with substituting detergent and synthetic oils is whether they get past the seals or not. They certainly do not suspend particles that don't exist in a lathe.

Back