Way Oil And Variations

tfleming

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So I have done a wee bit of reading and looking about way oil. Seems there are various "flavors" of it, just like there are so many variations of "subjective" substances. With that in mind, what I see the most of is that way oil tends to have an additive to make it "sticky". If that is the case, why could one not use bar oil formulated for chain saws? It has a tackiness additive to help it stick to the chain.

I thought I would throw this out here for comment and good natured debate. For sure, ANY oil is better than NO oil. Thoughts, comments, and engaging dialog are encouraged and welcome.

If you are going to use ANY oil,at least use NON DETERGENT motor oil. Way oil is better as it sticks to the surfaces much better. But,the NON DETERGENT is important to remember if you are just using motor oil.

Is my understanding correct that oil with detergent tends to break down certain substances with serfaces? Similar to windshield washer fluid. Fluids with detergent pits the windshield and breaks down the rubber in the wipers.

Thanks guys, yeah, I should have added "non-detergent". Keep the comments coming. Again, what about bar oil for chain saws?

you can use bar and chain oil, it sticks very well-
the problem is if you machine cast iron, the cast iron will stick to the sticky oil and make a ball of grit that can become embedded in any defects in machined surfaces.
less tacky oil will shed grit easier
an oil that is not as tacky will have the tendency to flow rather than stick, and must be reapplied more often
if you aren't machining abrasive materials, the bar & chain oil would suffice just fine

I've been using bar/chain oil on the change gears for a while no.
It seems to work very well and definitely quietens the gear noise but it is very sticky.

I do not know why one would not just use way oil on ways. That is what it is specifically formulated for, it also is good at preventing corrosion. The cost is about the same for decent bar and chain lube and is a very small amount of the cost of machining something or of the total annual cost of having a shop. Makeshift products sometimes need to be used, but I think you will find that most commercial machine shops use way oil, and have no problems with it.

I was using Vactra. I really don't like the smell of the heavy sulfonated way oils. I switched over to straight 30 weight non-detergent oil. For my light duty lathe I think it will be OK? Anyone this this is a big mistake?
Robert

Interesting, i just looked up Vactra no. 2 and the viscosity is listed as 68. Perhaps I should go thicker....

Last edited:
Bob, I agree on preferring true way oil. One of the reasons I am asking is that I don't have a local supplier for it, so everything available to me has to be purchased online and shipped. Bar oil is available from many local places for me. Now, the good news is, I don't use gallons of it, so an occasional ebay purchase or similar is fine. I guess I was thinking about reasonable and viable substitutes readily available for the average joe.

Back