Water Pressure Science Project - Engineering Ideas Needed

Phil3

Active User
Registered
I don't have a project to show here, but expect I will, especially if I can obtain some tips from members here on design. A dozen or so years ago, my daughter and I built a water pressure device to enter into her middle school science fair. She won 2nd place against many other projects, and I wanted to do the project again, but better, using my Southbend 9 inch lathe, mill, and other metal working tools I am acquiring as I venture into metalworking.

The device demonstrates the effects of ocean depths by applying pressure to water in a sealed transparent container. A crushable item is put in the container, and as pressure is applied, the effects are seen. A pressure gauge indicates psi. Everyone loved the thing, kids and adults alike. A styrofoam packing noodle compresses to a fraction of its size, a ping pong ball suddenly collapses, etc. My daughter asked the Monterey Bay Aquarium for anything on water pressure effects and they sent her a clear display box with a styrofoam cup in it. The cup was attached to a submersible that went to 2000 feet. The cup is a miniature of itself, about 1-1/2" high, mashed flat, long enough, to stay thimble sized at normal pressures. The device presented a multitude of engineering challenges, and was very educational for daughter and myself, but would like to make something much easier to use, more reliable, and safer. Sort of an executive desk conversation piece. Key challenges are:

SAFETY: The presence of ANY air in the pressure vessel means an explosive force is present. 100.000% water is fine, as it is incompressible. How to ensure there is zero air in the containment vessel? What best transparent materials can be used (and how) to gain visibility to interior of vessel but also withstand pressure of 500 psi (1125 feet water depth)?
PRESSURIZATION: How to reliably apply pressure? Piston down a bore or some way of reducing volume in vessel? Or apply more volume (water)?
USABILITY: How to rapidly introduce objects into the vessel, and ready for pressurization (without air)?

Engineering ideas welcome!

- Phil

You want to build a pressure vessel. The only concern I'd have about common materials is the transparent material for 500 psig. There need be no air involved, and using air to pressure the system up is hazardous in itself. I recommend a smooth bore, about 0.7500 diameter, with a lip seal piston driven down by screwing a rod with fine threads, like 1/2-20.

I'll think on this a little. I've designed a few pressure vessels for up to 4,000 psig.

Hopfully I wont get the stick for bumping an old thread...
and may be a bit late for the science project...

How about using the principles of a 'dead weight tester', http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadweight_tester
mostly they are setup to allow a high psi value to be exerted on a small gauge (device under test).
But for visual demonstration a much lower actual pressure in a chamber with a window.
just some thoughts.

Andrew

Back