Waste Oil Foundry Atomizer Plans?

I would like to see more of bprati's design. Sounds perfect. Also, you may find the link below of interest for ideas. I have used and made some burners based upon this design and it works very well. Good safety info also on the site:

http://www.hybridburners.com/

I would like to see more of bprati's design. Sounds perfect. Also, you may find the link below of interest for ideas. I have used and made some burners based upon this design and it works very well. Good safety info also on the site: http://www.hybridburners.com/
It is not my design, I am only a user, it's a BlackGold waste oil heater. I will take the main assembly apart and take some photos so you can see now simple it is.
The nozzle that I purchase from the manufacture sells for $40.00 but I just found one on ebay for half that.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281007902194?lpid=82&chn=ps

Would that be hot enough to melt aluminum?
Should manage aluminum without a problem. I wanted a waste oil burner, but here in Florida they're unheard of. You can also run diesel fuel in them, which should be able to hit cast iron temperatures. That's one of my goals, especially since I have an auto repair/scrapper less than a quarter mile from the house. I'm pretty sure I can obtain scrap cast iron there (old engine blocks). Scrap aluminum I get from work. I'm a Network and Systems Admin, so I get all the old and dead hard drives that I can handle. Got about 200 lbs worth of them to break down and cast into ingots (only have ~40 lbs of ingots left). Right now my furnace is small, and only handles about 5 lbs of aluminum or 15 lbs of brass/bronze per melt, but I'm on the lookout for a larger furnace body.

I did look at building a waste oil burner, but the convenience and compactness of the furnace burner is appealing. I may have to filter and pre-heat my waste motor oil (about 8-10 gallons on hand), but I don't think that'll be too big of a hassle. Right now, my furnace is propane fired with a 1/2" venturi type burner, and takes about 20 minutes to melt the first load, about 5 minutes or so per load after that. It's made from insulating refractory bricks, rated 2600F, and even after an hour and a half you can comfortably touch the outside. It does get hot enough to melt cast iron, but it's extravagant in propane costs, and *really* hard on the furnace interior. The spot where the burner hits the side of the furnace tangentially has seen better days. Once I find my bucket of castable refractory, I'll patch that spot.

I'll warn you, though. Casting metal is just as addictive as machining. Especially when you can cast and machine your own parts. Just be safe, contact with molten metal is a guaranteed trip to the ER. And probably a lengthy stay.

There's a simpler design I saw a few years ago its a hollow sphere with a .016 slit about an inch long the pressurised air is fed into the sphere and the oil is just pumped over the sphere. It won't clog as easily as a nozzle will. Also I just use a design from backyard metal casting its just a steel tube 16" long with an adapter to fit a blower fan and the oil is fed in through a piece of 1/4 brake line.

I dont have a picture right now but There's a picture of it on my shaper build

Photos of old and current Waste Oil Furnace nozzle assemble. A automobile spin on oil filter is used as a pre filter. The nozzle assembly mounts in a regular home retension head oil burner with the internal squirrel cage for added air.

l49Dcb1427809185.jpg 2VhK2I1427808865.jpg TyNXM91427808259.jpg O7vL4x1427807782.jpg

Lots of great ideas in this thread, thank you!!!

I will try the one I made again tomorrow, tried it tomorrow with a gravity fed water hopper.....it blew the hopper out and gave me a 50 PSI shower! So last night I put together a pressurized hopper feed, and will try it out today.

Since I am not looking for maximum heat, or anything crazy efficient, I had the idea to use a spray paint nozzle and a pressurized oil feed. I'm just worried about radiant heat melting the nozzle.

if you have a little time, watch some of this guys videos. guaranteed to get your oil pumping. i'd not like to be his neighbors but he gets it done. . .

Back