War Time South Bend Lathe

"Looks like a 14.5.

Should have a 2 hp 3 phase motor.

Get a vfd such as an Allen bradley 1300 series and you can have plenty of torque at low speed and plenty of higher speed with seldom changing belt position."

The motor that is in the lathe is certainly not original. It's a single phase 220v motor, and I suspect that it is 3450 rpm, which is too fast for this lathe. I'm all set up with a couple of RPCs and don't mind the odd belt changes. I'll have to look in my stash of 3 phase motors and see if I have one that will fit.

Brian

Re: compound. If you have a mill, just lightly clean up the flame cutting marks and even round the top and edges if you have the time. Who knows what history you might have there? maybe some guy made that top piece during the battle of Leyte Gulf and didn't have time to pretty it up!

A shame you're halfway across the globe from me. I have a 2 HP 1 PH motor that I recently pulled from my 15" Sheldon to replace with a 3 HP 3 PH motor I would let you have cheap.

Well, I'm finally back with a bit more information. It is a 16" x 36" toolroom lathe, ordered February 27, 1942 and delivered on November 5, 1943, by the U.S. Navy.

Here's a pic of the serial # card...

013%20800x600_zpshftlu8sl.jpg

I have a line on some of the missing parts and will be picking them up soon. I haven't done much to the lathe, other than some preliminary cleaning and painting, as I'm also waiting on the re-build book and felts to arrive.

Here's a little progress...

IMG_0376%20800x600_zpsjm08uodu.jpg

IMG_0377%20800x600_zpsa4mytjew.jpg

The outside colour will be a grey of some sort...

I also found a replacement motor in my stash. It's a German made motor, but what I think that I have is a 2 HP 3-phase motor, drawing 9 amps, 220 v. , 1735 RPM...

IMG_0403%20800x600_zpsrhvcuhqp.jpg

Correct me if I am wrong....

Brian :)

How were you able to locate that serial number card?? That is VERY cool info! I wonder if I could locate one for my SB lathe.

Wow- awesome. And now I spend another $25 on this lathe... hahaha! Thank you sir! ;)

Nice machine. I might be inclined to to keep the compound as is aside from tightening things up some. You would have the only one like it on the block, or perhaps the planet. If the tag says 2.2 kw, that would make it just under 3hp. Cheers, Mike

Nice machine. I might be inclined to to keep the compound as is aside from tightening things up some. You would have the only one like it on the block, or perhaps the planet. If the tag says 2.2 kw, that would make it just under 3hp. Cheers, Mike

Hello Mike :)

Thanks... :) I do have a compound coming my way, along with a few other parts that I need from a fellow in Maine. That's good to know about the HP of the German motor. I hooked the motor up to power last night and it spun right up with the bearings nice and smooth and quiet. I'll reinstall the cone pulley and motor mount tonight, and then will have to drill and tap new holes for the motor. Once the motor is installed, I'll be able to get the pedestal upright and begin the clean up and painting of the main components.

Brian :)

Last edited:
Reactions: kvt
Back