Wanting To Go Cnc

I am looking at a Taig unit that is ready to go to learn CNC on. A lot less than a Tormach and less confusing than a conversion and doesn't require you to already have other machines to build parts for the retrofit.

He also says that the mill can be purchased already CNC like the PM-45. I am seriously considering going this route. Now to decide if I want the 4th axis option.

I too am looking at getting a mill to convert to CNC. Where on the PM site can I find the PM-940 CNC version?

Last edited by a moderator:
The PM-940 CNC is not on the website, but is suppose to have all the same options that are available on the PM-45.

I just put a deposit down to hold one for me today!

I am looking at a Taig unit that is ready to go to learn CNC on. A lot less than a Tormach and less confusing than a conversion and doesn't require you to already have other machines to build parts for the retrofit.

If the Taig suits your needs and you are aware of its limitations, it is a great little machine.

I regularly use a Taig and find it does a great job on small parts. If it was my money, I would put towards a larger, more capable machine because the parts I use it for (high school robotics team) run into the maximum work envelope and horsepower limitation fairly often. For the money, you could potentially be well into a G0704 purchase and most - if not all - of the conversion parts.

The PM-940 CNC is not on the website, but is suppose to have all the same options that are available on the PM-45.

I just put a deposit down to hold one for me today!

Excellent! I somehow misread your post as "there is also the PM-45" instead of "there is a PM-940 CNC."

Can't wait for pics! Do you know if it is set up for anti-backlash double ball nuts?

Don't know if it is set up for anti-backlash double ball nuts.

Will be sure to take pics when it arrives. Check going out tomorrow.

I was also looking at a Taig since it is very low cost and can do (apparently) some serious cutting. It's not a Deckel but for an introduction to CNC it looks like a great starter machine. It has an alloy table, not steel or cast iron, with steel gib strips underneath. I think the head is alloy too, that's how they reach such a low price point.
Mark S.

I was also looking at a Taig since it is very low cost and can do (apparently) some serious cutting. It's not a Deckel but for an introduction to CNC it looks like a great starter machine. It has an alloy table, not steel or cast iron, with steel gib strips underneath. I think the head is alloy too, that's how they reach such a low price point.
Mark S.

I think the Taig-provided 1/4HP motor is the limiting factor. I've taken some cuts that the machine seemed mechanically able to perform, but the motor just didn't have enough power to carry out the cut. I plan on upgrading the motor with a newly acquired DC treadmill motor. I don't know what your definition of serious cutting is, but it will handle plastics at max RPM and max feed rate with a 1/4" end mill with at least a 1/8" depth of cut. Aluminum is entirely different in my experience, but I think it should be capable of some intermediate cuts at a decent feed rate (with 2D adaptive clearing, I would expect 8-12 IPM at 1/8" DoC at 6500rpm with a 1/4" carbide ZrN coated 3-flute end mill/ or whatever recipe equates to about 0.001" chipload per tooth).

The Taig is basically built with a body made of steel tubing. The spindle housing is aluminum, as is the table. The box ways are steel and the gibs are brass. The saddle appears to be cast and machined - I think it is aluminum. On the Z-axis, the head is mounted to an aluminum mount that rides on a precision ground plate.

The mill I use has a TB6560 3-axis eBay board. It works ok, but it would not be my first choice and the modifications that are on CNC-Zone are good to do. You will want to install limit switches and an E-stop. When you do your motor selection, get a large (>230 oz-in) Z-axis motor if possible. I do not like how the Taig spindle motor is controlled by a light switch. It should be controlled by the host software via the control board and a solid state relay at the very least. This is a simple modification to do and can be performed with the TB6560 eBay board.

Back