Wanting To Build One Of Those Metal Building Workshops

Concrete can be a significant cost. You don't necessarily need to put in all the concrete during the initial build. Some guys pour a percentage right away and add to it as budget/needs warrant.

Thanks to all for your input! It is great to see lots of convergence on ideas. Like putting a bathroom! Boy, how many fights with my wife can I avert with such a simple addition.

I will look into the other companies. I got a quote from Mueller and it seems that it falls on the ball park of the $20/SQFT which I had read on multiple threads.

Now all I am lacking is a house ;-)

I built a 40x80' Muller building with help from a few friends. Most of the red iron went up with just two people. I don't know how the zoning is in your county, but make sure you check prior to purchase.
Mueller was awesome to deal with and they always answered or returned my calls promptly. The quality of the kit is very nice as is the fit and finish.

I opted to insulate the space with R-30 and love it. A much better choice than the 3" stuff offered. I also ran mechanical ventilation with 12K cfm swamp cooler that keeps the space cool and comfy during the summer months. I also upgraded to Jannis doors (4- 10'x12').

The entire project took me about 18 months but I saved a lot allowing for the upgrades. In all it cost around $25/sf.
I need to add that a fork lift is a must for all phases of the build.

IMG_0400.JPG IMG_0408.JPG
IMG_0459.JPG

Firestopper
Did the $25/sqft include concrete?

Around this area (north Texas) foundation for a building runs around $6.00 per square foot.

$25/sf includes everything from concrete to fixtures.
Sorry for the late reply, been down for the count lately but will answer questions.

Concrete ran me $98/yd (3000 psi with reinforced fibers).

BTW, Mueller provided the engineering for the building but the foundation plan/design requires a local engineering stamp.

The 14 x 40 x 80 kit with four bay openings, one man door,extra base angle (200') and two 10' roof vents ran $24K delivered.
The concrete by far was the next biggest cost and close to what I spent on the building, but I added a wash rack and 7' sidewalk along the N end as well as trench drain and front apron. I have not described the inside systems included in the $25/sf but my point is, a building this size can be built for well under $25/sf. It just depends on how much your able to do yourself. Example: The quote for "skinning" the building was well over $14K. It took me three weeks to skin (part time) and saved for interior upgrades.
The foundation lay-out is the most critical. The anchor bolts need to be dead on for smooth sailing ahead. I can't remember how many times I pulled the 100' tape to verify but it was OCD for sure. haha

Any updates? I am steel building shopping also.

had a local co build mine 30x 50 all that I could build due to local rules. 1000 sq ft plus so much percentage of my house. all complete at about$45000 dollars still paying for it just 8000 left bill

My update: Still stuck in an apartment as it has been impossible to find a house where I can build a metal building. A requirement is my wife must like the house and that takes us to the 600K realm which is of course preposterous. Any "affordable to us" home resides in HOA infested soil which means even the nails have to be made out of wood... Or brick... Oh! it must also be invisible! Those buildings are so awesome...

Anyway, in the last five months, here is what I have learnt:

1. Seems metal buildings are in the ~$10/SQFT for the building. When you add everything else (concrete, labor/assembly, insulation, plumbing, electricity), they go up to anywhere in between $25 to $30 per SQFT.
2. Apparently welded is about 20% less than bolt up.
3. Concrete works can be anywhere in between $5 to $10. An option we entertained was to build a house and let the builder take care of the metal building workshop. In this case you could maximize material/labor costs and get the concrete the cheapest possible (e.g. bulk pricing). Unfortunately this is completely useless information for anybody with an existing home.

Not a lot of information, as I have really not been able to move forward anyway. But hey! Maybe by 2020 I can come back to this thread and give some meaningful piece of information back to the community! Heck, I promise to come back to this thread on March 15, 2020 and give an update whatever it might be ;-)

Haven't been on Hobby-Machinist for a while. I moved from Papillion, NE back to farm near McCook, NE Still working remotely but hope to retire in a couple years. Building a house - mostly myself; so that takes a lot of time. Did put up a 60 x 100 x 18 shop. This was done 2 years ago. I went with post frame (pole barn). Due to size I hired a crew to erect the shop itself. Wanted to have infloor heat. Found a local concrete guy that worked with me on that. I put in all the radiant tubing and set most of the forms. The concrete guy then came in and checked the forms before each pour. In turn, I provided labor on pour day. It worked real well. Going this route, my approximate cost were: $95k for building; $20k for two 14' tall x 20' wide hydraulic doors; $35k for the erection crew; $30k for the concrete. I did all the dirt work myself. Dirt work was a task in itself, using an old IH 966 tractor (no limited slip) and a really old 2 yard scraper. But the building's done. Hope this helps. The building would have cost more had I gone completely turn key - but that's not how I roll! :)

Back