Wanted - Forever (to me) Mill and Lathe in Atlanta

Christianstark

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Been on the hunt to get started in this machining hobby. Been lurking a bit, but upgraded my membership today. Just missed out on a 1930's South Bend Lathe that came up on CL recently. Widening my net.

I'd be just starting out and learning, so a solid foundation machine is more important to me than fancy feeds/DRO's. I can always add that later. Drop me a line if you see anything that may be a great starter opportunity, that will grow with me. I'd rather buy once here. Somewhat limited space here so anything beyond a smaller knee mill, or a 1440 lathe would be a challenge.

How far are you willing to drive? I used to live in Charlotte, NC and I would see stuff for sale around the area alot.

@NCjeeper I will start checking that CL out. 4 hours isn't bad. Ill actually be up in West NC all next week.

I decided to go new on a Mill. Searching for a Lathe now. Not afraid of a project.

Here is a south bend close to you.

Here's my story, might be of interest to some newbies. About 45 years ago, I bought a 9" SB lathe from a high school. I think it might be a model C. No quick change gear box, just manual change gears. No chuck. It was a "sealed bid" situation. Me and one other guy put our bids in envelopes. I bid $72.27 and he bid a few dollars less. The ways were badly "sway backed" if you know what I mean. The center ways for the tailstock were not that bad, especially near the spindle end (cause there is never any use there). I took the base off the tailstock and made a way to hold and advance a toolbit. Basically, I did a manual shaping procedure on it, sliding the tailstock base the full length with each cut, then advance the bit a titch, and another pass down each of the Vee ways. The headstock was removed, obviously. It took several days, maybe a few weeks to complete, I don't remember for sure. There is about 6" on the right end I had to blend out, but it is never used by the carriage anyway. As a last step, I scraped in some lube marks / cosmetic scrape marks. It would cut about .0005 out of parallel in 5" or so, but I haven't checked lately. Anyway, just wondering if anybody has heard of anyone else fixing cast iron lathe ways with that method. I never have.

I wouldn't have thought of that, but it sounds like you solved a problem. Good for you.

Back