WTB WANTED: CNC Mini Mill - Philadelphia

homecnc

Registered
Registered
I am looking for a CNC mini mill. A retrofitted Sieg X2, Grizzly G8689, Central Machinery (Harbor Freight) mini mill, or any of the clones would work.

I am not necessarily looking for a pristine machine. A "project CNC mill" would work too (need to keep the cost down).

If someone on these forums has one for sale, please let me know. Thanks!

admin: there was a post above by scammer 'leery' that was deleted.

Hello - Thanks for your post. I am still looking for one. Let me send you a PM and we can go from there.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the reply from Leery removed I thought @homecnc saw his own post and replied to it, made me chuckle.

I'd recommend doing the CNC conversion yourself. If you are in the market for a project mill, then the best kind is your own. Each of us who has done a CNC conversion has cut certain corners. You might be best off starting from the beginning and deciding on which corners to cut yourself.

Last edited:
With the reply from Leery removed I though @homecnc saw his own post and replied to it, made me chuckle.

I'd recommend doing the CNC conversion yourself. If you are in the market for a project mill, then the best kind is your own. Each of us who has done a CNC conversion has cut certain corners. You might be best off starting from the beginning and deciding on which corners to cut yourself.
Well, I too saw how it looked (me replying to my own post) and felt somewhat silly. But then I thought that it might have some entertainment value. So I left it there!

Actually I have been contemplating doing exactly what you've proposed. I even have a G540 lying around that I could finally put to use. Let me give some more shape to my thoughts and see where I end up. Thanks for the suggestion.

Also, I'd strongly recommend starting with the biggest mill you can afford from a budget and size standpoint. You outgrow machines faster than you think and once you've put the effort to convert one to CNC, you don't want to have to do it again.

I started with a Sherline mill, then a G0704 (which has served me well) but I find myself wanting a PM-940 sized machine.

Also, I'd strongly recommend starting with the biggest mill you can afford from a budget and size standpoint. You outgrow machines faster than you think and once you've put the effort to convert one to CNC, you don't want to have to do it again.

I started with a Sherline mill, then a G0704 (which has served me well) but I find myself wanting a PM-940 sized machine.
Thanks for your guidance. This is exactly the type of advice that newbies such as myself need.

I wasn't quite sure what a PM-940 was, and hence I looked it up. And I am very surprised to see that it weighs 1350 lbs even though it resembles a G0704. The document here helped me understand the differences.

Thanks again.

The bigger machines add both weight and size. Usually weight more so than size. What this equates to is rigidity when cutting. When I started out, I was milling aluminum with engraving cutters and making fuzz for chips (this was on the Sherline). As I learned more and my projects changed, I started doing the same on my G0704, just somewhat bigger parts.

Now I do much larger work (still small compared to many), but I want to be able to stick a 3/8" cutter through steel and not watch (yes actually watch) the whole machine bend like a noodle.

If you stick with the hobby, there is a likely chance you'll eventually want a bigger machine. I'd recommend going with the biggest machine you think reasonable so you don't need to double buy accessories like chucks and milling vises.

Back