Wanted cast iron back plate

I'm in the process of making an adapter to mount a plain back 5C collet chuck on a Haas TL1 with an A2-5 spindle nose. Got a piece of 1045 round stock from Speedy metals. So far so good. Good luck with your project.

I bought a Grizzly backplate for my 5C collet chuck that fits up perfectly with the PM1022. It's only a ~6" plate and needed to spin a little off the plate to make the insert fit better.

It was a Bison brand rough casting. Piece of mind having not to worry about a porosity or inclusion right in the middle of an important feature. My shop time is limited for personal projects. And this is something I will use for years. So decided the extra money was worth it.

"Got a piece of 1045 round stock from Speedy metals" Speedy metals is my usual supplier for stock as they are a short drive away.
Careful with your speeds and feeds with 1045. Can be a challenge to get a good finish. Especially threading. Grinds fine also after hardening. For example we used a lot of 1045 in school to make 1-2-3 blocks and tapping guide blocks. Harden after machining, then surface ground. 1045 is my usual go to for an entry level metal that requires reasonable strength at reasonable cost.

I finished my adapter Friday and mounted the chuck on it. Machined it in place mounted on the end of the TL1's spindle. A zero clearance fit, the chuck had no perceptible play in it. Had a short piece of 23mm tool steel stock on hand so I put in a 23mm collet and checked the runout with my old Teklock dial indicator. TIR was less than .0002", basically the needle was just wiggling barely enough to notice. I'm satisfied. We have a Royal collet closer setup for the same lathe but it's a pain to swap out for short run/one piece jobs.

The 1045 machined quite nicely.

Back